Default What to Do After Getting Rear-Ended

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: California
    What to Do After Getting Rear-Ended – California San Jose
    Yesterday (17 March) late evening a car rear ended me while I was stopped at a red light at an intersection. There were some minor damages at the back of the car. This is a rental car I have taken from avis. Nobody was hurt and the driver admitted mistake to me.

I did not have much idea as to what should have been done then as this was first experience of this kind for me. So I called 911 but the operator refused to send any cops as she said 1. There was no injury 2. There was no traffic block.
    I still requested her to send someone but she said I need to call my insurance. That’s it.
    So I took the name, phone number, license number and Insurance number of the other person.
    I plan to call insurance company tomorrow.

Few Questions:
    Pls answer as I am new to whole process:

1. What is the recommended process to follow? Did I follow correct steps?
    2. I am going to call Insurance Company tomorrow? What else do I need to do?
    3. I wonder why the 911 did not send cops although I requested so many times?

Pls share your experience and advice kindly.
    Thank You

Default Re: What to Do After Getting Rear-Ended

Quote Quoting sunandoghosh
    View Post
    1. What is the recommended process to follow? Did I follow correct steps?
    You typically exchange information with the other driver at the scene and go your separate ways. Which you've done!

View Post
    2. I am going to call Insurance Company tomorrow? What else do I need to do?
    You also need to contact Avis and notify them that you were involved in an accident in their vehicle. They will instruct you on how to proceed accordingly!

View Post
    3. I wonder why the 911 did not send cops although I requested so many times?
    Simply because there was no "emergency"... No one was injured and it appears as if it will end up being a civil matter involving property damage! No need for the police to show up.

As a note, most agencies haven't the manpower or resources to devote to writing property damage only collision reports. State law only requires the police to respond to injury or fatal collisions so many agencies do not respond to non-injury collisions.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    You typically exchange information with the other driver at the scene and go your separate ways. Which you've done!

You also need to contact Avis and notify them that you were involved in an accident in their vehicle. They will instruct you on how to proceed accordingly!

Simply because there was no "emergency"... No one was injured and it appears as if it will end up being a civil matter involving property damage! No need for the police to show up.
    Great thanks for your detailed response.

My idea of trying to call cop was to make sure that proper incident can be reported and proved.

I visited AVIS this morning and submitted the form.

My concern was what if say tomorrow the other driver for argument sake backs out of his admittance. I dont have any proof other than relying on his statement which he may change. Thats why i requested cops to come but they did not.

Also I wanted to understand whether in future (God forbid) if any situation similarly arises what should be my next course of action?

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    As a note, most agencies haven't the manpower or resources to devote to writing property damage only collision reports. State law only requires the police to respond to injury or fatal collisions so many agencies do not respond to non-injury collisions.
    Agreed. My main reason was to make sure i get a proof of who was responsible for carrying out the accident and that i was not at fault.

View Post
    Agreed. My main reason was to make sure i get a proof of who was responsible for carrying out the accident and that i was not at fault.
    Of course, the insurance companies are under no legal obligation to assign fault the way the police do. Insurance companies can apportion fault, the police cannot.

Although, in this case, it seems that the other driver would clearly be at fault if you were stopped at a light and rear-ended.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links