Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Giving Up Permanent Residency with Tax Obligations


    I got married in the usa afew years ago.. ..i have a green card..but recently got divorced and returned back to the uk to be with family...i have decided to stay in the uk..and want to hand back my green card
    i understand i will need to pay taxes for the year 2011 and im not sure whether to turbo tax it..i just wondered if anyone could offer some advice on what you are supposed to do in this situation..i was to be correct but im not sure what i have to do..
    i plan to fill in a 1407 and get the green card sent away
    Thank you for any help

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Giving Up Green Card/Returning to Uk/Tax Issues Too

    Contact a tax professional?
    Turning in your green card at this point has no bearing on tax issues for 2011.
    It will have little to do with tax liability for 2012.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. J Visas: J1 to F1 to Permanent Residency
    By nzd114 in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 06:43 AM
  2. Giving Up Rights to an Unborn Child and Financial Obligations
    By brianb in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 06:50 AM
  3. I-407 Abandonment Of Permanent Residency
    By AndreaP in forum Permanent Residency and Naturalization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM
  4. TPS and Permanent Residency
    By samuel_01 in forum Immigration Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-20-2006, 08:49 PM
  5. Dual State Residency and Tax Obligations
    By Inquiring in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Legal Forms - Buy easy-to-use legal forms.