Default When Can I Take Possession if Tenant Appears to Have Moved but Left Items

My question involves an eviction in the state of:Texas

The 30 day notice to vacate date has passed on a month to month verbal agreement. It appears the tenant has vacated but has left several items, some furniture, old TV, some kitchen/bath items, a few clothes...mostly trash. He does not return phone calls in attempt to contact him. Can I clean it out now?

Default Re: When Can I Take Possession if Tenant Appears to Have Moved but Left Items

Do you have any language in your lease defining abandonment? If so, what is it?

Who gave the notice - you or the tenant?

Have you left messages for the tenant? Do you have a forwarding address so you can mail notice of your intentions to the tenant? Have you tried posting a notice on the door? If you've done any of the above, did you tell the tenant that the premises appear abandoned and that as of a particular date you'll remove and discard any remaining items as garbage? (What, if anything, have you stated to the tenant?)

Default Re: When Can I Take Possession if Tenant Appears to Have Moved but Left Items

There was nothing in the agreement about abandonment, it was verbal.....X$ a month. I am evicting him. It has been two days since the date I gave him to vacate, the same day I left a voice mail asking what his status was. No answere. Which is nothing new, he never answered the door or phone in the past. Even though there is an attempt to move out, I think he has a legal right to stay until I legally evict him....no?

If he has abandoned the premises, you have the opportunity to remove his belongings under Texas Code Sec.92.0081(b)(2). If not, then not.

It is helpful to define "abandonment" in your rental agreement, to reduce the chance that you can be successfully sued if you take action against a tenant who by most appearances has moved out. That 36" CRT that looks like garbage? I wouldn't put it past a tenant to claim that it's a $million antique.

Exactly my concern! This is actually a tenant of my elderly mom whos mess I'm trying to clean up. Although, I have tenants of my own. This is definetly something I need to revise in my lease. So how do you define "abandonment"?

I don't.

If you are concerned that the apartment is not abandoned, such that the statute applies, proceed with an eviction.

You don't? I guess it crosses that line on legal advice? Thanks for your input, it was very helpful.

The court defines abandonment, and as there's no statutory definition that would ordinarily mean turning to the "plain language meaning" of the term as found in a dictionary, if not previously defined by precedent (case law). It's easy to find a dictionary and offer a definition of "abandoned", but nobody can promise that any given "plain language" definition will be the one a court will use. It doesn't happen often, but I've seen courts go into contortions to misinterpret a dictionary definition in order to shape an outcome.

1. Sponsored Links