Unhappy Spot Delivery Scam

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Arizona

Back in October I put $3700 down in cash at a major car dealership for a 2008 Chevy Cobalt. I was able to drive the car off the lot around the middle of October. I was never officially approved for financing as that was dependent on me providing my income. Shortly after I bought the car, I was terminated from one job so I couldn't bring in those pay stubs. I found another job a month later and was about to bring in my pay stubs one week when I got in an accident and totaled the car.

Now the car dealership is saying that the financing was actually approved even without my proof of income. They're also saying that my $3700 is completely gone and that at the most, I would be getting around $500 back. They've been telling me that since the accident. However; every time I try to contact them I keep getting the run-around. They always have some sort of excuse as to why they haven't mailed me my check.

Also, the day before the accident, my dealership registration expired. The finance director told one of the finance managers to not give me new registration unless my financing was approved that day - it wasn't. So when the accident happened, I had expired temporary registration which the officer cited me for.

I spoke to two police officers and a judge and they both believed that I was being taken advantage of. I'm starting to think the same as well.

This is my first time buying a car from a dealership. I'm only twenty years old. Does anyone have any advice? Does this sound like a scam? What should I do?

Thank you!

Default Re: Spot Delivery Scam

Let's talk about the last 5 months that went by since you put your money down back in October.

How many payments (if any at all) have you made, and to whom?

How many phone calls have you made to the dealer, and for what?

Has the dealer tried contacting you for there vehicle back? If so, how many times?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

It sounds like you are 100% liable for any outcome as you continued to drive the vehicle with expired tags. Regardless of the outcome, your $3700 was burned up for using the car.

Well, the car was totaled out and the financing was never approved; so I haven't been able to make any payments on it.

I've called them every other day for three months straight trying to get information. Most of the time I got voicemail or no information at all.

Yesterday I called and spoke with a finance manager; I asked him about through which company my car was "financed." He told me that it was approved through a company called Regional Acceptance Group, but I have an email from another manager from January that's saying that Regional actually rejected the contract and that it was financed through a company called Drive Financial.

To me, it seems like they are trying to cover their tracks by saying that the car was actually financed before the accident occurred when before the accident it was still pending approval.

Why did you not have the required full coverage insurance on the vehicle?

Either the car was financed or it wasn't. We can't investigate that for you.

How hard were you pushing the dealership to take the car back before you totaled it?

What are we actually talking about here? Let's say you bought the car for $8,000. You totaled, it, the insurance paid $7,500, you were hoping to get $3,200 returned of the $3,700 you had paid to the dealership (with their effectively giving you a free car to drive for five months), and they are saying you get only $500?

The financing was never approved before the accident, it was purely dependent on me providing proof of income. Only after the accident did they decide to tell me that financing was approved and that I didn't need to bring in my paystubs.

The price of the car was $10,544. The insurance paid out $9,500.

The dealership is telling me that the payout basically doesn't matter because after the cost of taxes and fees, the actual sale price is $15,000. That's also something they never told me when I first signed the deal.

You need to add

State sales tax

State registration fee

State title fee

Dealer dock fees

Dealer vehicle prep fees

Dealer delivery fee (should only be charged with a new vehicle)

Finance company application fee

All these fees add up, do they add up to $15,000? I don't think so, but maybe the dealer was charging you a rental fee each month until you totaled the vehicle. You are lucky that you held insurance on the vehicle or you would be asking us a whole lot of other questions besides the ones that you are now.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

You need to read your purchase contract.

1. Sponsored Links