Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What To Do About a Handicap Parking Ticket

I think you misunderstand me. I happen to think that most people with handicap placards really do have serious problems (often multiple problems)...and that many shouldn't be driving. As far as setting standards, I think being able to successfully pass a driver's exam would be a good start. I also think it would save a lot of lives.

As far as raising the age required for a license, I'm OK with that but I think 18 would make more sense than 19, for a variety of reasons.

Quote Quoting chuckycheese
    As far as setting standards, I think being able to successfully pass a driver's exam would be a good start.
    Most can. if they can't, they lose their license. but - for practical reasons (money and manpower) - there is no feasable way to re-examine everybody. And to base it solely on age could open the state up to litigation for unlawful discrimination. There is already a means of ordering a re-exam of any driver - handicapped or otherwise.

As far as raising the age required for a license, I'm OK with that but I think 18 would make more sense than 19, for a variety of reasons.
    Well, since drivers in the 16-19 age group is the category with five times as many serious injury collisions and deaths than any other age category, 19 would seem to be reasonable.

But, this is not going to happen.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

I can't cite you the statistics but I believe they show that 'accidents per miles driven' is much higher for people over the age of 70 than for people under the age of 20. I recall hearing something on the radio about a Insurance Institute of America study that confirmed that.

There are a lot of horrible accidents caused by feeble, disoriented old people but many drive very little; especially as they get quite old. It's a problem that's only going to get worse within the next 20 years as the 'baby boomers' get old.

You don't even need to be able to successfully parallel park these days in order to get a license It was discontinued because so many people can't do it. If you can't figure out how to do that, you have no business driving an automobile.

View Post
    I can't cite you the statistics but I believe they show that 'accidents per miles driven' is much higher for people over the age of 70 than for people under the age of 20. I recall hearing something on the radio about a Insurance Institute of America study that confirmed that.
    Since we deal with aggregate numbers in my business, I'll go with CA's SWITRS data which shows a 5 times greater likelihood for 16-19 year olds than any other 4-year age block. In my city seniors represent an almost infintesimal portion of ALL collisions ... less than nil for injuries. The only one I can recall was a woman who had a stroke while driving 35 in a 35 and struck a bridge ... and she was only 55 or so and had no prior medical history. Most of our bad crashes are caused by kids. Fender benders are pretty much across the board, but the bad ones tend to have younger drivers.

As you say, many seniors do not drive all that many miles. And the 75+ category (somewhere up there - not sure off hand whether its 75+, 70+, or 90+) is only three times as likely to be in an injury collision though the fatal collisions are pretty low as I recall.

You don't even need to be able to successfully parallel park these days in order to get a license It was discontinued because so many people can't do it. If you can't figure out how to do that, you have no business driving an automobile.
    They don't do that in driving tests anymore? I coulda sworn they did ... but, it's been almost 3 decades since my driving test.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

View Post
    Carl, I find it impossible to believe that you think someone who can barely walk is able to safely operate a car...
    There are people that cannot walk at all but drive quite successfully. A properly equipped vehicle can allow them to drive safely.

In my personal experience, I have never seen a handicapped driver in an accident. I have never been hit by one.

How many handicapped folks have you seen in an accident?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    There are people that cannot walk at all but drive quite successfully. A properly equipped vehicle can allow them to drive safely.

In my personal experience, I have never seen a handicapped driver in an accident. I have never been hit by one.

How many handicapped folks have you seen in an accident?
    The handicapped decals are not passed out indiscriminately. The problem is misuse of handicapped sticker privilege. In other words, Chucky is making an assumption about the driver being the handicapped person to whom the decal was issued. If you make statements like that it is not factual unless you do the research and can support it.

Default Re: Handicapped Parking

A few points...
    1) Recent news and reports show that Americans are quickly sliding into obesity. Maybe having a few handicapped spots to help out those who can't walk or have difficulty getting where they need to go is helpful to the handicapped and to those who need to get more walking in.
    2) I don't agree with the "Minority Report" argument that we are going after people for acts that they have not yet committed. I think that argument works for a person walking out of a bar and heading down the street, but not when they are already in a car. They have already committed an act by getting in a potentially deadly weapon and putting other's lives at risk...
    3) As a society, we should be striving to help everyone who needs help. Handicapped spots are such a minor concession that I can't believe its even an issue.

Default Re: Handicapped Parking

From the perspective of someone who has a disabled parking permit.

I have a condition where I donít look handicapped all the time. There are days I need a cane but there are others where, gratefully, I can walk without.
    I can see the stares; I feel the stares of people who see me Ė a young healthy looking person as I get out of the car without my cane. It is humiliating. I feel awful in the first place and bear my own shame with the situation. I have to reason with myself all the time saying ďThey are only trying to protect the disabled and think Iím taking advantage. It isnít about meÖĒ etc. However what these people donít realize is I may walk into the store graceful enough but as I come out Iím clutching onto the cart or my husband for dear life.

Now, there are days where I feel good and that I can walk a few extra steps and on those days I bypass the handicapped spots. I leave them for others who may not be doing as well as I am on that day. I love those days. But to say there are too many spotsÖ that is unfair. There have been days where I cannot shop because all the handicapped are taken and this has happened in parking lots where there are rows of spots provided. I just have to go home or drive somewhere else to do the shopping. Those who can walk a distance donít have to do that.

For those who donít need the handicapped spot I can imagine it is an inconvenience on some days when perhaps you are a little tired and would love to park up front. But for those that can not shop without that advantage, it is necessity.

And a request if I may. Please donít use the handicapped spots as a cart return area. I canít tell you how many times Iíve had to get out of the car to move the carts so I can park. On days that getting out of the car to move the carts, get back in the car, park, and get out againÖand now I canít shop because Iíve already overdone it. I know that seems impossible but believe me, there are days like that. For those that are wheelchair bound, I just donít see how they could use the spots at all.

Smile Re: What To Do About a Handicap Parking Ticket

View Post
    As far as the fine not being unreasonable, there's a huge difference between "a $27 pittance" and a $350 dollar fine. I think it would be easy to come up with a number in between (even without a calculator )

This is a little off-subject but, as a cop, I'm certain you also must realize that a large percentage of people with handicap plates have absolutely no business driving an automobile.

If people that apply for them were required to show that they can safely operate a motor vehicle (or that they will only be a passenger), I suspect there would be far fewer dangerous drivers on the road....when I see someone taking several minutes to get in or out of their car, it gives me a very eerie feeling. It's not hard to imagine what will happen to them because it happens every day...and when they crash, they usually hurt others in the process. There are countless examples here in California, alone, as I'm sure you're aware.

I shouldn't have mentioned the BMW; that was rude.

WOW
    Im a young single mom who was abused for 12 long years by an X whom i loved dearly, but abused that love..This caused seizures and , daily migraines, fibromyalgia (chronic 24/7 pain) and MS. So i am disabled. There are days i can barely take a step forward without stopping to rest.

Yet, i have people stop and rudely address me: "Why are you parked there!!??"
    I may be the picture of health, but i live in such AGONY, i hate to even get out to the grocery store!! Even my own family doesnt understand. They think i should be out there working. and so i do! Even though my ex is a millionare, he does not pay one cent of child support, not even their medical, or their school supplies, or their lunches, yet he wants to claim them on his taxes, and he wants to act like hes the "HERO" even tho he has them only ONE day a week.

He yanks the glasses off my 9 year old daughter who has worn them since age 2, refuses to give treatments to my 7 year old son who has had COPD, (asthma) since BIRTH, and only a 2 on the apgar, born Breech, and he wouldnt even bring me to the hospital , so a C-section was impossible, he was born 1 hour after arriving, and in bad shape, my miracle child

Those of you who complain of handicap spots, PLEASE PLEASE think again.
    It hurts me when you "well meaning people" make hurtful comments. At the time im not in a wheelchair, but at times i am.....Maybe i look healthy, but theres never a moment that my body is not wracked in pain.
    You dont know who may be out there who may be in the same predicament. . .

Thanx for listening.

Mimii'

WOW
    Im a young single mom who was abused for 12 long years by an X whom i loved dearly, but abused that love..This caused seizures and , daily migraines, fibromyalgia (chronic 24/7 pain) and MS. So i am disabled. There are days i can barely take a step forward without stopping to rest.

Yet, i have people stop and rudely address me: "Why are you parked there!!??"
    I may be the picture of health, but i live in such AGONY, i hate to even get out to the grocery store!! Even my own family doesnt understand. They think i should be out there working. and so i do! Even though my ex is a millionare, he does not pay one cent of child support, not even their medical, or their school supplies, or their lunches, yet he wants to claim them on his taxes, and he wants to act like hes the "HERO" even tho he has them only ONE day a week.

He yanks the glasses off my 9 year old daughter who has worn them since age 2, refuses to give treatments to my 7 year old son who has had COPD, (asthma) since BIRTH, and only a 2 on the apgar, born Breech, and he wouldnt even bring me to the hospital , so a C-section was impossible, he was born 1 hour after arriving, and in bad shape, my miracle child

Those of you who complain of handicap spots, PLEASE PLEASE think again.
    It hurts me when you "well meaning people" make hurtful comments. At the time im not in a wheelchair, but at times i am.....Maybe i look healthy, but theres never a moment that my body is not wracked in pain.
    You dont know who may be out there who may be in the same predicament. . .

Thanx for listening.

Mimii
    Thanks for offering your personal story. It is true that MS has remissions and exacerbations so you have days when you can't walk to the car. It is nice to know that with a handicapped permit you will have the option taking a reserved handicapped space. When the state issues your handicapped sticker is based on a yearly statement from your physician or does it only have to be renewed with you liscense?

My parents and my husband have been issued temporary handicapped placards. My husband's were post surgery. My mother's is based on her arthritis but I don't remember the length of time it is issued.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2