Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default How to Expunge a Sex Abuse Misdemeanor Conviction

    My question involves criminal records for the state of: Oregon

    I was convicted of a misdemeanor for having a relationship with a minor 5 years ago (ORS 163.415 Sexual abuse in the third degree). She was 2 months from her 18th birthday. Her family fought to not pursue the charge, but because I was in the military it didn't matter what her family thought. I received an "Other than Honorable Discharge" and then went to school. I never had as much as a speeding ticket. I did my community service and paid my fine (a little late because I had no money, no job). I am finishing a degree in computer science now and am worried about finding employment. My questions are:

    1. How will this affect future prospective employment? Do I even have a chance at finding a job with my degree? If I continue and get my masters will that help or is it a waste of time?
    2. Online it says no sex abuse charge will be expunged in the state of Oregon, but is there any loop hole around this for more minor offenses? Can I appeal it?
    3. What would my best option be?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Default Re: How to Expunge a Sex Abuse Misdemeanor Conviction

    Usually, sexually predatory crimes cannot be expunged, due to their nature. It can have a profound effect on your ability to obtain employment.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: How to Expunge a Sex Abuse Misdemeanor Conviction

    It is not up to the victim to determine whether charges are brought. It's the state that is the injured party. Parents can not authorize abuse of their children.

    1. It all depends on the employer, but it would be wishful thinking that it wouldn't influence the employer. At the minimum you're going to have some 'splainin' to do.
    2. Correct, there is no sealing of convictions for sex offenses.
    3. Since this is not eligible for judicial sealing, the only option is a pardon. Your best bet would be to find a lawyer who specializes in such.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Expungement and Sealing: How to Expunge a Misdemeanor Shoplifting Conviction
    By allyn091 in forum Criminal Records
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 09:31 AM
  2. Post-Conviction Relief: Cannot Expunge a DV Conviction - What Can I Do
    By gosplat435 in forum Criminal Procedure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 01:23 PM
  3. Expungement and Sealing: When Is It Possible to Seal or Expunge a Conviction
    By ricky5t in forum Criminal Records
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2009, 05:48 PM
  4. Expungement and Sealing: How to Expunge A Misdemeanor Conviction In Arizona
    By EmptyNest4 in forum Criminal Records
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 09:44 AM
  5. Expungement and Sealing: How can I Expunge a Misdemeanor Conviction in New York
    By johnresales in forum Criminal Records
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Criminal Defense Attorney
Protect your freedom. Consult a criminal defense lawyer for free.