Default Purchase of a Car Without Transfer of Title or Loan Payoff, Seller Took the Car Back

My question involves an auto loan or repossession in the State of: California

Hello, my unofficial mother law had a vehicle that she was making payments on. She could no longer afford the payments and instead of retunring the car to the dealer she asked me if I could take over the payments. At the time I thought this was a great idea, means my transportation was very unreliable. So I took the offer. We had a verbal contract over the phone, no paperwork was involved. I was to make a monthly payment to her of $336.00 and $70.00 for insurence. (Her insurence policy covered me if I drove the car) The car was to be mine and once the car was paid of to the dealer she would switch everything into my name. She also wanted $1,000 for her curteousy. She said that I could make payments on the grand if I needed to and she was okay with that.

I recieved the car in early November, and since she didn't pay the car note in October I was to pay for October and November's month. In which i did. I continued to make all of my payments on time until Feburary. (when I only made the insurence payment) Late January My unofficial mother law wanted to check the status of the 1,000 I owed her. I told her that I was planning on paying that off with my income taxes that I had already filed and was waiting for the return. She was ok with that. During this conversation I asked her to write me up a written contract so that I am entitled to the car and to the grand that she requested. She said she would write me something.

During this time My unoffical mother law's daughter (whom was also what I considered a best friend and sister) had hacked into my facebook account with out my permission and read all of my messages. In one of my messages I was explaining to a close friend my situation I felt a little pressured and stressed at the moment. I told my close friend how I even retrieved the car (which was because they could not afford it). The daugter took what I said and twisted it to be an insult to her family. She showed her mother. And on February 10th 2012 The mother and the daughter came to my house and the mother wanted her car back because I had "hurt her feelings". She also never wrote a written contract that I had requested. I had no choice but to give her the keys since everything was in her name.

I have had the car in my possession for only 3 months. But I feel like what has happened was not fair and that I should at least get a refund for all of my payments on that car. I even got an oil change and new windshield wipers. I made payments to her in person and through her checking account but I lost the reciepts. Now I have absolutely no transportation, and no way to work. I feel like my privacy was invaded, and that I was used. And I feel like this was no reason to take the car from me especially since I never insulted anyone personally, or payed late. Can I sue this person to get the money I spent back? Help!!

Default Re: Can a Car Be Repo'd from Me if I Made All Payments on Time Can I Sew

What the earth is an "unofficial mother law?"

You're most likely out of luck.

Default Re: Can a Car Be Repo'd from Me if I Made All Payments on Time Can I Sew

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    What the earth is an "unofficial mother law?"

You're most likely out of luck.
    My boyfriend's mom -___________-

Your manners betray the same intellect you used when making this agreement. Go on with your life, you have no legal claim.

1. Sponsored Links