Default Reinstatement After Suspension Due to DUI in Another State

Hi, I am a college student who was convicted for dui last month. I had a Michigan driver license but I was caught under dui(owi) in Indiana.

I appeared at court, and was sentenced probation along with 30 days of license suspension. No previous crime, tickets. My suspension period is over now, but I am having trouble with re-instating my

license. I have called my local court in IN, they said that they have sent all of my information over to MI and they are not sure how MI will deal with this issue.

They implied that they might handle my situation differently in their state so I have to check with them. But I don't know where to contact, especially, does it mean that

michigan might have suspended my license for longer period than what I was sentenced in IN court? If not, should I contact MI bmv to re-instate my license?

I heard that court will send my information to bmv when my suspension period is over. Then, will they send it to MI? or IN? I asked my local court with few questions, but they have no idea, not helpful at all.

Please direct me to the right way. What is the procedure to reinstate license in another state? I have finished all of the probation terms here in Indiana, where I got caught.

I have looked up all other website for few days, couldn't find any answers.

Please help me out with any professional knowledge/experience that you guys have . Thank you!

Default Re: Reinstatement After Suspension Due to DUI in Another State

technically, Indiana cannot suspend your license. All they can do is suspend your driving privileges in Indiana. Whether they belong to a system that other states review and respect that suspension in their state varies with the state. Michigan would also be able to impose their own punishment as well if they choose to.

Depending on whether MI even has a record of your Indiana suspension, your MI license may have not been suspended.

Have you had any contact from the DMV in MI concerning the status of your license?

Thanks for your reply. I haven't had contact BMV in MI, but I have applied/paid for my record check. I was waiting more than 30 minutes on the line to talk to the

representative, but no answer at all.

Then, how could I figure out which condition I am in? I have completed all of the probation terms that were in sentence in IN, but like you said, if MI applied their law in my situation,

how can I check what my probation terms in MI are? Where should I contact to deal with?

Also, I don't live in Michigan anymore while I still have the Michigan license.

Could I just apply for the new license in Indiana? Or should I go through some complicated process to achieve the IN driver license?

You will need to do the following

1. Get yourself reinstated in Indiana - contact their IN BMV or go to one of their reinstatement centers. You have to get a copy of your driving record by sending your name as it appears on your MI license and your DOB
    2. Find out where you stand with the MI Secretary of State and this can be as simple as getting your MI driving record - URL http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...1868--,00.html

Please let us know what you find. I would not say anything abut the DUI.

lee5633269;598042]Also, I don't live in Michigan anymore while I still have the Michigan license.
    then you MUST obtain an IN license. You have to obtain an IN license within 60 days of moving into Indiana.

If you were never notified your MI license was suspended, I would simply go and get an IN license. If asked if your MI license is suspended, unless you were notified it was, you can honestly say it hasn't been, at least to your knowledge.

1. Sponsored Links