Default Academic Dimissal from Private University

My question involves education law in the State of: Maryland

I've posted this topic here before but failed to follow up with more information to help responders, the thread was closed.

I'll be filing suit within days against the private university. Just thought I would try to get some feedback before I file, just in case I missed something. From what I understand from reading the case law: courts grant substantial deference to schools when it comes to academic decisions. Part of my compliant will be that the primary matter for dismissal was not a clear cut academic matter. But rather is better considered to have been a disciplinary matter. My sense is that the school lumps everything under "academic" in order to skirt the law. Anyway, the student never had any academic problems, maintained an 'A' GPA and otherwise completed most degree requirements (i.e. exams, thesis etc..) with the exception of 1 or 2 classes without one hint of any academic deficiencies. Essentially the school claimed that the student committed an ethical violation and dismissed the student academically.

Anyone have any experience with this? There are very few cases that I can find that deal with this. The one that I found indicated the student admitted an ethical wrong-doing and had a pattern of problems (according to the school)...in this case, no ethical wrongdoing was admitted and there are no patterns of problems at the school.

If the behaviors is being presented as "unethical" not related to cheating etc...is there case law to suggest that ethical violations are considered academic rather than disciplinary.

Default Re: Academic Dimissal from Private University

We still don't know what happened, so we still can't guess as to how a court might respond.

I would never detail specifics on the internet, particularly when opposing lawyers could be looking etc...more interested in the general case law regarding academic dismissal at private universities vs. disciplinary dismissals, breach of contract at private universities, etc...

You can google it as easily as we can. The purpose of this board is to help people with their specific legal situations, not to provide free research services.

I originally wanted/requested specific advice but do not want to provide specific details, so I gave the basics of the case. Can you reply based on what is given. thanks.

No. If you can't provide specific details (and you are not obligated to provide them), I'm not willing to do research that may or may not be applicable (and I'm not obligated to do so either)

What specific details would be looking for beyond what I have already provided above?

What ethical violation does the school claim occurred?

1. Sponsored Links