Default Deportation and Inadmissibility Relief Issues

first of all so thankfull i found this forum.

ill try to keep my situation short. while in legal permanent status in 1993 i plead no contest to a 288 (a) charge, thats basically lewd or lascivious acts with a minor . was placed on felony probation for 3 years. i'm still an lpr but last time i went to mexico to visit i was detained for an hour by ICE and then they let me go. officer said i should take care of this felony which is older than 20 years or else i may not be lucky next time.

i have been doing research and come to the conclusin that 212 (c) relief from deportation may be posible. my questions:

would i need to be incarcerated and in removal proceedings to be eligible? well, this is what attorneys have told me so thats why they wont take my case. right now i dont have a case, im not arrested, or nothing. i just want to prevent somehting from happening if i were to be pulled over for an infraction or something then a police oficer checks my record and bam "you are being deported".

also, if i were granted 212 (c) deportation relief, would i also need to petition for waiver of inadmissibility so that i can come back to the US without problems if i go out to visit? or is it the same thing? thank you so much for any help i can get.

Default Re: Deportation and Inadmissibility Relief Issues

A lawyer is your best chance. You are not going to undue your prior act via a help board. US laws are designed to keep people like you out of the country. We can't change it and frankly, support it.

What are you stating - that you faced a criminal charge, entered your "no contest" plea, then fled the country without serving your sentence? You're not going to get a 212 waiver before you serve your sentence.

hi. thanks for reply. actually i made my plea and was sentenced to county jail time and did about 2 months. i then served felony probation for 3 years and completed probation satisfactorily. so i served my sentence. i have nothing else on my record ever since. seems things went quiet for years. i went back and forth from US to Mexico with no issues; until now.

i have never been deported, have never been in proceedings to be deported. but this is what i want to avoid. i just dont know how i can, or if its possible to petition for relief when there is not an actual immigration case against me, or at least not yet. this is hwta i want to avoid.

also, i am still a US resident. i have never lived anywhere else since i became an LPR. I'm presently in the US free as a bird, and want to keep it that way. hope this makes more sense. thanks again.

1. Sponsored Links