Default Prescription Error By a Pharmacy

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: Alabama

I filled a prescription for my 22 month old daughter 5 days ago at Wallgreens. After taking the medication for 4 days, we discovered that the prescription directions had been incorrectly written by the pharmacy, causing us to give her twice the daily dose of the medication that should have been given. She has suffered from stomach pains that cause her to scream and assume the fetal position for up to 30 minutes at a time. We took her to the doctor this morning (since we found out of the mistake last night) and they said she will experience side effects for 4 to 5 days. Do we have case? I feel like there should be some sort of repercussions for their actions.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: Prescription Error for My Daughter by Wallgreens Pharmacy

You went to the doctor, who wrote your baby a prescription. I'm sure your doctor gave you instructions on how to administer the medication to your child. When you noticed that the written instructions didn't correspond to the instructions your doctor gave you (or you asked the doctor about when the prescription was written) what did you do?

And a case for what? What is a tummy ache on a 22 month old worth? Have them retype the instructions on the label and make sure they apologize for their error. Ultimately, no significant damage was done.

Default Re: Prescription Error By a Pharmacy

I questioned the pharmacist about the prescription before I left with the prescription. I should have specifically said this but I'm not interested in monitary gain from this incident. I am more or less asking would it be worth my time to find a lawyer for filing some sort of action based on principle or is this the type of thing that no one would be interested in.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Lawsuits aren't about principal. They're about money.

When you questioned the pharmacist and said... can you please read the paper instructions because that's not what my physician indicated, what was the pharmacist's response? Further, why would you follow instructions contrary to the ones given to you by your physician?

I guess my point is, you've got some culpability as well.

However, if you're concerned about principal, then put your concerns in writing to Walgreen's corporate office so they'd be aware of the issue.

You could also, on principle, make a complaint to your state's licensing board for pharmacists. That's assuming the error was not in how the scrip was written cause docs mess up too.

Thanks for your input. I spoke with a lawyer who says we actually have a case. Evidently I left out some important info in our correspondents. I'll keep you posted

Thanks for your input. I spoke with a lawyer who says we actually have a case. Evidently I left out some important info in our correspondents. I'll keep you posted
    Care to share the info you left out... which may change and/or add to any advice already given?

Name of medication? Dose/directions written by MD? Dose/directions labeled by Pharmacist/Pharmacy tech?

Thanks for your input. I spoke with a lawyer who says we actually have a case.
    A case for what, precisely?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    A case for what, precisely?

The full moon evidently provided a miracle yesterday.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

About the only thing that could have been left out would be that there either are, or there's an appreciable possibility of, long-term consequences.

These cases are not easy to prove in Alabama. See, e.g., Cackowski v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 767 So. 2d 319 (Ala. 2000).

1. Sponsored Links