Default Quitting New Job After 2 Weeks Because Not Suitable

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: Ohio

I lost my job of 12 years as a Purchasing, Shipping/Receiving Manager of a small business in December 2011. I was granted UI benefits and immediately began looking for work. I signed with Jobs1 and sent out resumes every day online and by mail. After 4 weeks, I was interviewed and offered the job with a company working on a production line through Jobs1 and I accepted it. Having worked at an office job at a desk for 12 years and my resume showed it, I was totally unprepared to work in a fast paced, strenuous production environment. After 3 days of training, I spoke to the supervisor and stated that I didn't think I was going to be able to perform this job and he just said you'll get the hang of it. After 2 weeks of back pain every day and still not getting the "hang of it", I called Jobs1 andtold them that I didn't think this was the job for me. That same day I learned that my wife's mother had died. I calld them back and told them that I would need some time off to deal with family matters but since I was in the probationary period, I would jeapordize my job if I missed work. I then called the HR department where I was working, told them that I thought that this job was not right for me also. They told me that they did not have any bad report of my work performance and that I was just being "too hard on myself" and that it would get better. The pay was also 1/2 of what I had been making at my previous job. A 40 hour week was still less than my UI benifits paid. I'm 52 years old and I know what I can and can't do and working on a production line with constant back pain is not what I wanted to do. I tried it but knew I would not be happy and would end up quitting sooner or later and I did not want to waste anymore of the company's time on training me and to let me go. I also explained about my wife's mother dying and I would need some time off. Since I was Temp-toHire, I was allowed 2 days off in the first 90 days. I went in the next day and told them I could not work here anymore but thank you for the opportunity. I also contacted Jobs1 and informed them that I terminated my employment.
    What are my chances of continuing my UI when I must apply for this weeks claim? I claimed all my gross earnings previously and still received partial benefits for the 2 weeks I worked full time.
    Thanks

Default Re: Quitting New Job After 2 Weeks Because Not Suitable

Not likely at all. You quit your job and informed everyone you would not be available for work.

Unfortunately, you likely will not be longer eligible for UI.

I completely understand your situation; that's tough work if you're not used to it, especially if you're 50+

You definitely should apply for UC benefits/reopen your claim. I'm afraid the odds of UC benefits being approved after you resigned are rather slim but you have nothing to lose by pursuing benefits with the State and see what they decide.

Thanks Beth3,
    Having never been unemployed before, I guess I should have not taken the 1st opportunity or at least asked what "production" jobs I would be assigned. If I would have known what I was going to be doing, I never would have taken this new job. This company even expects you to fix your machine if it breaks down, and I am in no way mechanically inclined. Now it looks like I'm screwed as far as UI goes and I will have to start tapping my retirement account to make ends meet until I find a suitable job...... And they are out there in my area, as I have recently found a few openings which I would qualify for and I have applied for. Live and learn I guess,,, Hopefully I get a compassionate case worker that understands that I don't want to ruin my body/health over a job and possibly become bigger burden on society when they ask me why I quit this job. I shouldn't have to hurt myself and then go to a doctor to tell me I can't do this job. I just today received a reply to a job at UPS as a package handler (fast paced, up to 70# of lifting etc. at $8.50/hr) and guess what? Not gonna happen! That job is for college football players, not a 135# 52 year old. I will file again for benefits and just pray for the best..
    Thanks again..

Hopefully I get a compassionate case worker that understands that I don't want to ruin my body/health over a job and possibly become bigger burden on society when they ask me why I quit this job.

I'm afraid the empathy of the UC adjudicator doesn't matter one whit. This will be a straight-forward issue under your State's UC statutes. You most certainly shold apply for unemployment benefits and see what happens - you have nothing to lose by doing so.

Good luck with the job search.

I didn't understand UC either, but now that I do it doesn't seem so fantastic to me honestly, best advice stay far, far away.

1. Sponsored Links