Default Served with eviction notice, do I have a leg to stand on?

Last week I was served with a notice that my landlord is taking me to court to evict me. This is the result of being late on two month's rent payments. I had previously rec'd notice that the payments were late and that I had seven days to remit payment in full or face eviction; I did submit that payment in full, but it was not received within that seven-day period. Technically it seems they are within their rights, so essentially I don't know that I legally have any chance here.

I've paid them the overdue rent (and I'd done so weeks before being served), so they have the money; if they want to go ahead with eviction and legally force me to leave, is there anything I can do? I'm trying to appeal to my landlord personally and ask that this suit be dropped, b/c paying the rent is not a problem for me financially, it was just an (very dumb) oversight for the April - May rent. I was given barely a week to respond and had to be out of town on Friday - Sun, so I'm just now trying to deal with this and my court date is mere days away. Please help, any suggestions or recommendations are more than welcome as I'm way out of my depth here. Thank you in advance.

Default Being Evicted

If you are a student at UM, you may wish to consult with student legal services. If not, and you cannot get your landlord to drop the eviction suit, you may wish to consult with a local real estate attorney such that (a) you don't default, and (b) as it may inspire your landlord to be more forgiving of past transgressions.

Thanks, Aaron. I did finally get in touch with my resident manager, and explained the situation. She looked up my account and found all charges up-to-date and no information about an eviction hearing. She contacted the corporate office about it and confirmed that they had dismissed the suit, so I shouldn't have rec'd the summons in the first place. Obviously I was very relieved, and the whole experience just about guaranteed that I'll never be late on a rent payment again!

1. Sponsored Links