Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can the Non-Custodial Parent Make the Custodial Parent Apply for State Aid, Medical

My question involves child support in the State of: New York

My fiances ex lost her job and medical coverage for her and her daughter. He does not have medical insurance. She lives in NY, we live out of state. She collects unemployment and does not have any medical coverage for child. Can the father request or demand she apply for state medical aid like medicaid for the child so she is protected. Right now she pays everything out f pocket somehow then sends us a bill for 1/2. The agreement said she wold continue to carry medical insurance unless he was able to get one that was better coverage for less money (she wrote that into the agreement). wouldn't it make sense for her to get state aid.. she would qualify.

Default Re: Medical Expenses/ Lost Insurance/ State Aid

It is not your business. If he does not like how she is handling the issue, he is free to file contempt in court.

No, he cannot demand that.

Even if she's court ordered to provide insurance, that will generally only apply if she's ABLE to do so. Does Dad understand that if she gets medicaid for the child, HE will have to reimburse the state?

Why would he have to reimburse the state? My thought was if it said she was to provide insurance coverage that would mean that if a state aid was available she should at the very least make an effort to apply. He can not get state aid for her bc she is not a resident of the sate we live in.

She will get state aid. He will pay the state for rendering the aid. It has worked in this country for years. Why should the state provide for the child, when dad has a job and money?

Because that's what the State does.

If Mom goes on state aid, the State WILL come after Dad for reimbursement. They'd rather he picks up the tab than the rest of us taxpayers who are not, after all, the parents of the child.

It might be cheaper for him to pick up cheap healthcare for kiddo himself.

Hmmm. Thank you very much. Down with the state! oh jk...I figured there had to be some catch. I swear that system was created to help the people who cant help themselves but the people who actually bust their hump everyday get you know what ns not an ounce of help! I am not one to think people should take advantage but she seems to actually need the help and coverage. And I know I am one of those tax payers paying for it! My insurance costs a small fortune but it's amazing. I wish could just add the child to mine she would be covered for everything! I will look into a health plan for the kiddo. Thanks again for your insight. I have an other post regarding how on top of this i think her environment is unfit. Its in the custody section. if you have any insight on that it would be much appreciated!

she seems to actually need the help and coverage
    Then the child's father should provide it.

Y'know, in many states you would be able to add kiddo to your coverage - you should really have a chat with your benefits people. That might be an even more reasonable option!

Default Re: Can the Non-Custodial Parent Make the Custodial Parent Apply for State Aid, Medic

Child Health Plus is a health insurance program for kids available in New York State. Depending on income, it can cost nothing, $30 or $60 a month. She can check it out.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast