Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SOPA Protest to Black Out the Internet Tomorrow

Google and other sites are set to blackout tomorrow.

http://techland.time...l-main-mostpop1

Looks like Obama is even saying that the bill can go to hell.

http://www.guardian....acy-legislation

Found from other sites.

Discuss.

IMO,if the bill ever passes it would make doing a cover of a song bad on sites like Youtube.

Default Re: Sopa Protest to Black Out the Internet Tomorrow

so, what's wrong with sopa Linuxfan? Do you think it is ok to steal others works?

I don't think it okay for the government to blackout sites outside of the US, so they cannot print dissenting or disturbing info, about what happens in the US. That is what the net effect will be.

I know the stealing analogy is all the rage, but instead of stealing someone's car, it would be more like making an exact copy of that car and using it. It's NOT stealing, it's copyright infringement.

But SOPA goes way beyond copyright control and into heavy government control of the Internet.

Quote Quoting Michael44
    View Post
    I know the stealing analogy is all the rage, but instead of stealing someone's car, it would be more like making an exact copy of that car and using it. It's NOT stealing, it's copyright infringement.

But SOPA goes way beyond copyright control and into heavy government control of the Internet.
    so you think it's ok to steal another's works too?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    so you think it's ok to steal another's works too?
    Is that what you understood my post to mean? I guess I've got to work on clarity in my writing.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    so, what's wrong with sopa Linuxfan? Do you think it is ok to steal others works?
    I believe the remedies under the current law are excessive .. why do you think this legislation is needed?

I'll give you an example, jk.

A person alleges that this is an offending site. All of the people placing ads here, any billing, any advertising can be shut down within five days. Google Ads simply can't process all of that or investigate all of the complaints in five days, and this site would effectively be shut down.

Burden of proof is shifted to the site owner to prove he doesn't violate any provision of the copyright act - all while the site is effectively shut down (no income). If someone on this site linked to streaming media, the site owner may be guilty of a felony if he briefly and unknowingly hosted copyrighted content.

The attorney can easily blacklist sites. History has shown that putting more and more power in the hands of the government is not always a good idea.

But yeah, just say that I'm in favor of stealing and wash your hands of it.

There was the same kind of debate in the 1970s about the "Beta Max" (the precursor to VHS players/recorders).

They were going to "steal" by recording stuff and playing it later. That would take money away from the copyright holders.

Well, it spawned a whole new industry and a whole new revenue source for copyright holders (that evolved into DVD's today).

The same thing happened when Thomas Edison invented the phonograph. People would no longer go to live performances; they would "steal" the performance by playing a record.

I'm glad that phonographs and VHS players and DVDs were not outlawed (although attempts were made to do that).

The world has to adjust to the Internet. The way to adjust should not involve the ability to immediately shut down a Web site just because I say so.

That should be "attorney general" above and not "attorney".

btw, since linux put this in the debate topic, I figured there needed to be a counterpoint to linux' position. I have not read that much about SOPA but from what I have, it sounds like a bad deal.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast