Exclamation Expired Tabs, No Current Copy of Insurance, Defective Windshield

My question involves traffic court in the State of:Washington. I received a ticket on 10/17/10 for having expired tabs (they expired end of Sept), not carrying a current copy of my proof of insurance (I am still and was at time of infraction, fully insured), and defective equipment for a crack to my passenger's side windshield (which in no way impairs or obstructs my line of vision while driving). I got my tabs renewed next day, as I hadn't noticed they had expired, I contacted State Farm same day and had them email me a temporary card to print out and carry with me proving my coverage and I feel that the windshield bit is just picking on me. So, I mailed in my ticket to contest the infraction and by Dec 17th when I still hadn't received my court date in the mail, I called the courthouse with jurisdiction over the area I was ticketed and they said that it was not showing up in their system... I of course, failed to make a copy of the ticket and was unable to read the officer's name off of it to begin with and I did not mail it in via certified mail. So, it's like a phantom ticket and I did not/do not want to get into trouble for this later! The court told me to keep checking back with them and also, suggested that I contact the police department who issued me the ticket and try to find out what happened, remind them of the ticket and then get a court date where it would all most likely be dismissed. Something just seems funky about that and I'm afraid they're somehow going to try to give me an FTA or who knows...??? This all occurred in King County. Shouldn't the officer have submitted the ticket within 5 days? Is the ticket now void with no further action needing to be taken on my part...?Any suggestions on how I should proceed with this...? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Default Re: Expired Tabs, No Current Copy of Insurance, Defective Windshield Rule Irlj 2.2

Quote Quoting js9065
    View Post
    Shouldn't the officer have submitted the ticket within 5 days? Is the ticket now void with no further action needing to be taken on my part...?Any suggestions on how I should proceed with this...? Thanks in advance for your help!!
    Yes, the ticket should have been filed within 5 days, but NO the ticket is not automatically void. You MUST appear and move for a dismissal per IRLJ 2.2 if it was filed beyond 5 business days from the date of issue. This does not include the day it was issued. If you sent your copy of the ticket to the court, then they should have it on file. You need to keep on the court about this. Call them every day.

Use the Washington Court records lookup site to see if they have you in the computer.

1. Sponsored Links