Default Ignoring an IRS Inquiry After Filing an Amended Return

I filed my taxes last year (2010) and later received 1098-T. I filed an amended return with the new information and IRS sent back requesting another document . . I never sent anything back and i wanted to know if i can just forget about finishing that amended return and use the 1098-T(2010) for this years taxes (2011) I will also receive another 1098-T for 2011

Default Re: Ignoring an IRS Inquiry After Filing an Amended Return

No, you cannot use expenses paid in 2010 for any tax year other than 2010.

Further, if you blow off the IRS, they'll make their own determination of what you owe which is probably not going to be advantageous to you.

Further, if you blow off the IRS, they'll make their own determination of what you owe which is probably not going to be advantageous to you.
    ...and by "not advantageous", Bubba means you can look forward to things like wage garnishment, bank levies (that's where they empty out your entire bank account), and liens if you owe and don't pay up.

Never ignore the IRS.

Although, realistically, the only consequence from blowing off the IRS request for additional information regarding a claim for an additional refund is that you don't get the additional refund. The original return will stand as filed. The jack-booted thugs don't drag you off into the night over this one... at least not yet.

Quote Quoting Bubba Jimmy
    View Post
    Although, realistically, the only consequence from blowing off the IRS request for additional information regarding a claim for an additional refund is that you don't get the additional refund. The original return will stand as filed. The jack-booted thugs don't drag you off into the night over this one... at least not yet.
    of course that is presuming the new info did not prove the original filing to be improper.

I would presume that the receipt of a 1098-T prompted the OP to file an amendment to claim either an education credit or a tuition/fees deduction. This would generate an additional refund, but if the form 8863 did not accompany the 1040X, for example, the IRS would send a letter requesting that form. The form 8863 would be required to claim an education credit. People sometimes forget to file the supporting forms with the 1040X. I am guessing that this is the additional "document" they have requested, as this is the most likely scenario. Failing to respond will do nothing more than prevent the additional refund from being issued.

In any case, each year stands alone and 2010 expenses cannot be applied to a 2011 return.

1. Sponsored Links