Default Being a Cop with DUI Record

I need some help please. I always dreamed of becoming a cop, but then i got stopped and got a ticket/misdemeanor for drinking and driving. Does that eliminate my chances of becoming a cop? Im attending school right now to get my AA in criminal justice, Also my friend is in this program called "police explores" thinking of joining that to boost my background. What are my chances go getting hired as a police officer in the future. Thank you for your time i appreciate it.

Default Re: Being a Cop with Misdemeanor Age 18

Likely would, at least right now. And a AA in criminal justice? Not very impressive .. should get a degree in psychology.

But I think your chances of becoming a police officer are slim ... others will give their opinion.

In most departments, I would say not likely. Due to potential stress from the job, that is a lot of liability, for them to give a drunk, a gun and a city car.

Quote Quoting RC2010
    View Post
    I need some help please. I always dreamed of becoming a cop, but then i got stopped and got a ticket/misdemeanor for drinking and driving. Does that eliminate my chances of becoming a cop? Im attending school right now to get my AA in criminal justice, Also my friend is in this program called "police explores" thinking of joining that to boost my background. What are my chances go getting hired as a police officer in the future. Thank you for your time i appreciate it.
    What state are you in?

A misdemeanor conviction is not a legal bar to becoming a police officer. However, any agency that might consider you will want to see time and good works between the time of the offense and the time of your application. You will have to show a history of responsibility and maturity, a solid work history, and that you have done well in school.

Get at least the AA degree then reconsider the matter. The more time between the offense and application, the better.

I am not sure that you are eligible to be an Explorer because of your age, but, check with the agency and see what the requirements are. It might be that your recent offense could disqualify you as an Explorer.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Chances are good that this one misdemeanor will not bar you from being a police officer. If such things did, then a whole lot of present law enforcement people would never have qualified.

Continue to pursue your dream and don't do anything else stupid in the meantime. And knock-off the underage drinking!

Im in the state of California. Thanks to both of you for your help, and i will stop drinking, i already did, wasn't my thing since the beginning.

Quote Quoting RC2010
    View Post
    Im in the state of California. Thanks to both of you for your help, and i will stop drinking, i already did, wasn't my thing since the beginning.
    Alcohol use/abuse is a red flag. While not an automatic bar to employment, most agencies will be reluctant to hire someone with a recent history of alcohol abuse. Combine that abuse with an unlawful act that includes being underage, and you have a serious argument for a lack of maturity and poor judgement both of which are factors in the background evaluation.

Put a few years behind you and maintain a steady work and school history to show that you have matured, and this shall be behind you one day.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links