Default How to Reopen a Child Support Collection Case, Closed Due to Lack of Activity

My question involves child support in the State of: New Jersey. My daughters case was closed. My ex husband owes over $27,000.00 in back support. He will be getting money from the sale of a house. Can I get a lawyer to make New Jersey reopen the case. He lives in Virginia. Virginia says that New Jersey closed the case because of no activity. I do get small amount from his social security since he stopped working. Does that mean that the case is open and just floating in outerspace. Getting through to speak to someone in New Jersey is crazy.

Default Re: Getting Case Reopened in New Jersey That I Did Not Close

We don't know the facts or amount of time involved, beyond this being a support arrears case. I would not be surprised if you or your attorney could get the case reopened for further collection action on the judgment; time's not on your side, as once he gets the check there won't be an escrow fund to go after.

Default Re: How to Reopen a Child Support Collection Case, Closed Due to Lack of Activity

Thank you for responding, I am calling my lawyer tomorrow morning to set up an appointment. I just don't understand why New Jersey would close the case. But hopefully and prayerfully I am going to get it started.

1. Sponsored Links