Default Bonded Title and Past Due Registration Fees for Motorcycle Purchased

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: California/Oregon

I recently bought a motorcycle in California. The owner said the motorcycle was abandoned on his property from the previous home owner (foreclosure) and he went to the DMV and they said it just needed to be filed for a duplicate title. I bought the motorcycle (for cash) and when I went in to the DMV, I found out it was not this simple. Yes, I know better now...

I also discovered that the motorcycle had not been registered since it was first purchased and now has approximately $600 in registration fees to make it current.

Can I file for bonded title (showing due diligence to get the registered owner to provide title)? If I can get a bonded title, do I need to pay all the overdue registration fees?

Add on top of all this....While I have been trying to get this worked out, I moved to Oregon for a job. I know I have to have a the title in hand (issued by CA DMV) before I can register the motorcycle in Oregon. Do I also have to have the registration current?

Lesson learned...require title in hand and proof of current registration in the future....

Additional note: The bike is worth approximately $1200 if I can get everything clear and legal....

Default Re: Bonded Title and Past Due Registration Fees for Motorcycle Purchased

Likely, unless OR has a similar bonding regulation, they will not recognize the title as valid.

Default Re: Bonded Title and Past Due Registration Fees for Motorcycle Purchased

Quote Quoting California VC4307. Title in Doubt
    In the event application is made in this state for registration of a vehicle and the department is not satisfied as to the ownership of the vehicle or the existence of foreign liens thereon, then the department may register the vehicle and issue a distinctive registration card and appropriate license plates but shall withhold issuance of a California certificate of ownership unless the applicant shall present documents sufficient to reasonably satisfy the department of the applicant's ownership of the vehicle and sufficient to identify any liens thereon or the applicant shall post a bond pursuant to Section 4157.
    Quote Quoting California VC 4157. Undertaking
    In the absence of the regularly required supporting evidence of ownership upon application for registration or transfer of a vehicle, the department may accept an undertaking or bond which shall be conditioned to protect the department and all officers and employees thereof and any subsequent purchaser of the vehicle, any person acquiring a lien or security interest thereon, or the successor in interest of such purchaser or person against any loss or damage on account of any defect in or undisclosed claim upon the right, title, and interest of the applicant or other person in and to the vehicle.
    Getting a bonded title doesn't excuse you from any of the other requirements for registering the vehicle. If registration fees are owed before a title will issue, they need to be waived or paid.
    Quote Quoting California VC 9562. Waiver of Penalties and Registration Fees
    (a) When a transferee or purchaser of a vehicle applies for transfer of registration, as provided in Section 5902, and it is determined by the department that registration penalties accrued prior to the purchase of the vehicle, and that the transferee or purchaser was not cognizant of the nonpayment of the fees for registration for the current or prior registration years, the department may waive the registration penalties upon payment of the fees for registration due.

(b) Other provisions of this code notwithstanding, the director may, at his or her discretion, investigate into the circumstances of any application for registration to ascertain if penalties had accrued through no fault or intent of the owner. If the director determines that the circumstances justify it, he or she may waive any penalties upon payment of the fees for registration then due.

(c) When a transferee or purchaser of a vehicle applies for transfer of registration of a vehicle, and it is determined by the department that fees for registration of the vehicle for any year are unpaid and due, that the fees became due prior to the transfer or purchase of the vehicle by the transferee or purchaser and that the transferee or purchaser was not cognizant of the fact that the fees were unpaid and due, the department may waive the fees and any penalty thereon if the license plate assigned to the vehicle displays a validating device issued by the department and the validating device contains the year number of the registration year for which the transferee or purchaser is requesting a waiver of fees and penalties.

(d) Upon the transfer of a vehicle for which fees for registration and any penalties thereon are unpaid and due, the fees and penalties are, notwithstanding the provisions of Article 6 (commencing with Section 9800) of this chapter, the personal debt of the transferor of the vehicle who did not pay the fees and penalties when they became due or accrued.
    The fees and penalties may be collected by the department in an appropriate civil action if the department has waived the fees and penalties pursuant to subdivision (c).
    Go here and read Sec. 3.080 on when waivers are available.

I don't see that Oregon requires proof of out-of-state registration for registration in that state, but look for yourself here or call and ask.

Thanks for leading me in the right direction. It sounds like I might at least have some options where I thought I didn't. .

1. Sponsored Links