Default Age of Consent in Florida

My best friend is 18 (female in flordia) and her boyfriend is 16. His family hates her and want to put her away in jail. Can they? They really care about each other and dont want to worry about being apart.

They only hate her because he hates them and rather be away then with his family so they blame her for that. I hope that helps a bit.

Default Re: Age of Consent in Florida

Quote Quoting emptyperson5
    View Post
    My best friend is 18 (female in flordia) and her boyfriend is 16. His family hates her and want to put her away in jail. Can they? They really care about each other and dont want to worry about being apart.

They only hate her because he hates them and rather be away then with his family so they blame her for that. I hope that helps a bit.
    As long as your friend isn't doing anything illegal, they can not have her arrested. He needs to abide by his parent's rules and be home on time....

However, if the parents do not want her to have contact with their son, there are ways they can keep them apart. My advice is to wait until he is 18, since then he will no longer be a minor.

From Florida statutes:

794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.

(1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, "sexual activity" means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose.

(2) The provisions of this section do not apply to a person 16 or 17 years of age who has had the disabilities of nonage removed under chapter 743.

(3) The victim's prior sexual conduct is not a relevant issue in a prosecution under this section.

(4) If an offense under this section directly results in the victim giving birth to a child, paternity of that child shall be established as described in chapter 742. If it is determined that the offender is the father of the child, the offender must pay child support pursuant to the child support guidelines described in chapter 61.

Its not that he's not home on time, they wouldnt let that happen. Its that he doesnt like spending time with them. I mean he ran away before they even got togerther; but you know, "its all her fault".

But I agree, they should wait so no one can bother them about this mess.

Thanks that helps.

In my opion the way the law reads is he is 16 years old (a minor) she is 18 years old (an adult) any type of sexual contact will get her the jail time that she does not want..

OPION tell her to back off. There are plenty of "legal" guy's out there.

Thats not true. After doing research, as long, as she is 16 or older, and he is 23, or younger, other than a possible contributing to the delinquency of a minor, I can't seem to find anything that says its actually against the law. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Further more, after extensive research, it seems to be. as long as both parties are 16-23, that in the state of florida, certain things could be charged, small, more than likely misdeameanors. But the age of consent, I believe, seems to drop to 16, if the partner is within the 16-23 age bracket. Now the family still technically has parental control. Unless the minor chose to be emancipated. I've had a lawyer tell me its all good between 16-23, but others bounce around it because of the wording of the law. I am currently trying to find an updated consent chart, but cant find one newer than 01, or 04 or somewhere around there.

Don't dredge up years-old threads. Florida's law is directly quoted in this thread. It speaks for itself.

Also, read the forum sticky. Thanks.

1. Sponsored Links