Default Got married on a B1 / B2 visa

Hi again. I hope someone will read this and actually know what to do! My husband is here on a B1/B2 visa. We just got married, and as of right now he is still legally in the united states. His visa is a travel visa, good for 1 year, but he is only allowed to be here for 3 months at a time.
    The '3 months' will be up at the end of this month, and we will file the adjustment papers before the visa expires. Are there any special papers we will need to fill out besides the I-485, G-325, etc. etc. We know all about those papers, but will the united states government have a problem with him staying here while we wait for the papers to be approved? I wasn't sure if we needed to pay the 1,000 dollars to get the papers looked at sooner, or whatever the case may be. Please, some good advice is needed here.

Default Re: Got married on a B1/B2 visa

Ideally he would find a way to maintain lawful status while the applications are pending. The most crucial issue, though, is that he entered the country legally. If his status lapses, he should not leave the country until the petition for adjustment of status is resolved, lest he be subject to a period of exclusion resulting from his overstay.

Default Re: Got married on a B1/B2 visa

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Ideally he would find a way to maintain lawful status while the applications are pending. The most crucial issue, though, is that he entered the country legally. If his status lapses, he should not leave the country until the petition for adjustment of status is resolved, lest he be subject to a period of exclusion resulting from his overstay.
    are you saying that as long as he's married to a US citizen and has applied for a greencard that his 3 month expiration period is no longer an issue, and he can stay in the US for as long as it takes to receive his greencard?

i'm facing a similar situation myself. my boyfriend and i (US citizen) have known each other for 2 years and we want to get married when he visists the US again in june. he's B-1 business visa holder which means he can only stay in the US for 3 months at a time and he's visited the US a couple times on his B-1.

what kind of paperworks do we need to file to adjust his status and how long does it normally take? will his visa be an issue?

i know this is an old thread but i still hope someone will respond!

Default Re: Got married on a B1 / B2 visa

Quote Quoting foxy5674roxy
    View Post
    Hi again. I hope someone will read this and actually know what to do! My husband is here on a B1/B2 visa. We just got married, and as of right now he is still legally in the united states. His visa is a travel visa, good for 1 year, but he is only allowed to be here for 3 months at a time.
    The '3 months' will be up at the end of this month, and we will file the adjustment papers before the visa expires. Are there any special papers we will need to fill out besides the I-485, G-325, etc. etc. We know all about those papers, but will the united states government have a problem with him staying here while we wait for the papers to be approved? I wasn't sure if we needed to pay the 1,000 dollars to get the papers looked at sooner, or whatever the case may be. Please, some good advice is needed here.
    I am by no way legal expert nor do I understand all this very well, but I can explain whats going on with us. My wife and I were initially going to file for I think K-1 Visa or fiancee visa and go about it that way. However, it was suggested to us that we get married next time she came in to the US and file for change of status. At the time i believe this process was taking between 2-6months. What we were to do is file for it while process was taking place she needed to go back and basically wait.

Our problem now is that where all this was handled in Vermont is now being taken to California and they are telling us it will be October before they even look at our case. Which presents huge problem since our Wedding ceremony with friends is set in Aug. From what I know so far i believe staying would not be a good idea, however while process is going on i know its possible to come back, as long as he can prove he has reason for going back to his country IE job.

What i have learned from all this, is that our tax dollars do very little to help aid us when you try to do things legally. They are not very timely and seem to really not care. Our current situation is in flux and not sure what is going to happen. Not sure if we can get her here for wedding, she has family made trips we have spent a lot of money on wedding as it is. One suggestion I may give is contact your local Senators office and find out how you can push things along. Be very vague at first, don't give name, because it can also raise a flag and make things take longer. Just poke see where it gets you and take it from there.

Default Re: Got married on a B1 / B2 visa

Call USCIS, they will tell you what papers to file. I was told to file 7 application forms together in one address, in Illinois. Includes I-130, I-485, Biographic (each for both), Working Permit, Reentry & Medical Exam. You will hopefully receive a working permit first within two months of filing the applications. All of these info are based of a friend's experience. USCIS will ask you a couple of questions to determine the forms to be filed. Be truthful with them. They're very helpful.

Smile Re: Got married on a B1 / B2 visa

I am currious are you still trying to apply for k1 visa or you will field the paper work after you get maried!!

1. Sponsored Links