Default Is It Legal for My Dad to Take My Baby Simply Because He's a CPS Worker

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Washington (not dc)

I'm a 16 year old mother to an almost one year old son. My dad, is a cps worker and has recently told me he could remove my baby from me, at any time, for any reason. When i first had my baby, I had to fight to get custody of him, and honestly only won because the father of my child was being deployed a month later. I feel like I'm a well fit parent. I live with my mother and have plenty of help with the baby. So basically, my questions is can my dad really take my baby away for no reason besides the fact that he's a supervisor for cps? If so, what can I do to prevent it?

Default Re: Is It Legal for My Dad to Take My Baby Simply Because He's a CPS Worker

So basically, my questions is can my dad really take my baby away for no reason besides the fact that he's a supervisor for cps?
    No. CPS must investigate allegations of abuse or neglect, and unless the child's life is in imminent danger, they have to get a court order to remove the child from the home.

Your father has no standing to just take your child on a whim.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Is It Legal for My Dad to Take My Baby Simply Because He's a CPS Worker

In fact, I would go one step farther. Have an attorney draft a cease and desist letter to the effect that your father should stop using his office as a supervisor at CPS to intimidate you and/or influence your parenting.

That way you would have it on record in case the fecal matter hits the rotary air distribution system.

Oh wait, you are 16. Just tell your school counselor about the threat. you want it on record somewhere.

Well thank you i was just afraid that my dad would show up sometime and take my baby just because he can, and the rest of my family said it was legal.. So I just needed to know for sure.

Your family and your father are absolutely 100% incorrect.

I'd also suggest, perhaps - although this will NOT improve the relationship between you and your father - contacting his employer directly.

I'd recommend that to any adult parent who was being subjected to such an abuse of his position, I don't see why I wouldn't suggest it to a minor parent.

Well ... there could be a reason dad is making this threat. What issues has he raised to articulate his reasons to want to take the baby?

Do you go out a lot? Are you drinking or doing drugs? is the home where you live an unfit location somehow? Are you living some sort of a wild life?

Why would he consider taking the child? I doubt it is because he believes you are a wonderful mother ... the fact that you conceived a child at 15 or 16 already indicates some poor decision making and, perhaps, inadequate supervision at the home where you live right now. So, there may be issues that could allow CPS to intervene. I am not saying there IS, but there very well could be.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Well actually, you are slightly correct. When I got pregnant I was 15, and partying.. BUT I was living with my dad at the time.. So the "supervision" thing is on him. Yet at that time, I had gotten my dad on paid leave while HIS supervisor investigated the things that he was doing to his own children. He was charged with battery, and instead of being fired was removed from his on feild work, and placed as a supervisor. I then got emancipated, and had my baby. The entire time I was pregnant, my dad told me he would take my baby. Even THOUGH I had stopped doing all the "wild" things I had been doing. Currently, I have a job, I go to school and I'm more then capable of taking care of my son. Yea, he's with a babysitter for about 6 to 7 hours a day, but most parents are working.

You got emancipated?? Yet, you got pregnant as a minor and have to live with others and rely on others for support? How'd THAT happen?

If the worst thing that can be said is that you have the baby in daycare, then you should be fine with regards to CPS.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

I suspect we're referring to medical emancipation. If Jaeluv in fact was legally emancipated, I doubt that she would be so concerned that her father would have mythic powers as a CPS worker and could whisk her baby away. After all, if he was unable to stop the emancipation process.... Jaeluv lives with her mom, which is more suggestive of mom being the custodial parent than of her being emancipated.

Ah! Okay, THAT makes sense ... I was amazed - and dismayed - at the thought that she might have been legally emancipated in this situation.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

1. Sponsored Links