Default Debt Collector Claims to Hold an Old Credit Card Judgment

I live in the state of Georgia.

Today I received a phone call from a debt collection agency claiming that I owe them $22,000.00 on a debt from American Express. I disputed the debt, refused to verify it, and demanded that any further communication with me be put in writing.

The debt collector was particularly tenacious and stayed on the phone. He kept blathering on about how they had a judgment on me for this AMEX account from 1999. He didn't tell me what state it was from and claimed that the statute of limitations on this debt is 20 years (after I told him that even if it were mine, the SoL was up).

I told him that I'd never been served anything and that this sounded pretty fishy. He kept trying to get me to say I was "refusing to pay the debt" and I kept just saying that I needed verification and that I didn't know what he was talking about. Before hanging up on me, he claimed that he was going to pass this on to the agency's "legal department" and that I could have "fun" with that.

In 1999 I was 19 years old. One of my parents had demolished my credit during that period and I've since worked very hard to fight these debts and wait for my credit to regenerate.

I'm 32 now and have a 760-790 credit score. I've got a house and a nice mortgage. I have no debt. I checked all my credit reports today and there are NO judgments listed and no collections. This is the first I've ever heard of this. I'm sick of this crap haunting me.

Does it sound like I have to worry about someone trying to garnish my paycheck or put a lien on my house? If this thing is twelve years old, why am I hearing about it now?

Default Re: Debt Collector Claims to Hold an Old Credit Card Judgment

The lack of an entry on your credit report does not mean that a judgment does not exist; with the passage of 12 years, it's even possible that a judgment was once listed and has dropped off. A Georgia judgment appears to be valid for 7 years, subject to renewal, so it's possible that a judgment was entered in 1999, was renewed in 2006, and remains viable.

Try checking with the court of the relevant county to determine if any cases were filed under your name and, if so, the status of any resulting judgments.

How do I find out what county is relevant? If this card was opened by my parent, it was in Massachusetts and not Georgia. Should I be checking locally?

So... I spent $50 and bought a background check on myself (through US Search). There are no judgments against me.

Is it legal for a debt collector to claim to have a judgment against me when there isn't any?

Quote Quoting HammerofThor
    View Post
    How do I find out what county is relevant? If this card was opened by my parent, it was in Massachusetts and not Georgia. Should I be checking locally?
    Why not check both plus federal courts ...

If you read the disclaimers on the report you bought, I expect you'll find something to the effect of, "We can't promise that we found everything."

If you're sure that no judgment exists, a judgment that does not exist cannot be enforced.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If you read the disclaimers on the report you bought, I expect you'll find something to the effect of, "We can't promise that we found everything."

If you're sure that no judgment exists, a judgment that does not exist cannot be enforced.
    It does have a disclaimer, but it also seems to pretty complete. For example, they have a court case that I won listed in my file.

1. Sponsored Links