Default Pulmonary Embolism After Discharge From the Hospital

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: Missouri

This was about 6 months ago, I went into the hospital for 2 days because I was severely anemic (got a blood infusion). While in the hospital they didn't give me anything to prevent blood clots, one day later after be discharged from the hospital. I was in so much pain and then I went back in the hospital for 7 days and I had a pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the lungs and heart).

Even though I don't have a history of blood clots. I kind of feel like if I was lying in bed for two days and they knew that blood clots were a possibility that the hospital is kind of at fault.

Could this be considered malpractice or what actions could I pursue?

Default Re: Could This Be Considered Malpratice

How were you permanently damaged?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Consult a malpractice attorney. You can usually get a free initial consultation.

I still have pain every so often from where I had the blood clots, I don't know if it will be permanent or not. However I'm very in debt now, since my health insurance is the worst and I had to spent an extra week in the hospital plus a super expensive helicopter ride.

You are already anemic (although you haven't told us whether it is chronic anemia, secondary to recent surgery, or a medical condition).

Most blood transfusion bags already have Heparin added to prevent the blood clotting in the bag. Therefore, the risk of adding more anticoagulant to the system of an already anemic person.....especially one with no history of DVT/clots.... may far outweigh any possible benefit.

You really seem to have it out for the Physician you hate....the one sending you a consultation bill.

It's chronic anemia, cause still unknown.

I did tell the doctor that I was in birth control pills (which has a blood clot factor), and I think I may have moved about once a day in those 2 day hospital stay because I was not feeling good. I see what you are saying that it already has heparin added to it apparently that wasn't enough to stop my blood from clotting.

lol No this was a different physician than the consultation bill. I just wish they would have warned me about the possibility of blood clots, so I didn't have to be in all that pain and didn't have to miss work for a month and stay in the hospital for another week after being there the last 2 days.

It's possible that they could have been more thorough in their evaluation of you had you cooperated with examinations rather than sending their consulting physicians away.

Which of the physicians who treated you for the embolism have opined that it was caused by the prior hospitalization and would not have occurred had the hospital followed proper standards of treatment?

1. Sponsored Links