Default Flyers Under Hotel Room Doors

My question involves business law in the state of: Nevada

If you're staying at a hotel, is it illegal to slip flyers under the hotel room doors?

If you get caught, will you be arrested or what is the likely outcome? (Don't worry I won't hold you to your answer)

Also, would they try to track me down by my website name that will be on the flyer?

Thanks

Default Re: Flyers Under Hotel Room Doors

NRS 207.200 Unlawful trespass upon land; warning against trespassing.

1. Unless a greater penalty is provided pursuant to NRS 200.603, any person who, under circumstances not amounting to a burglary:

(a) Goes upon the land or into any building of another with intent to vex or annoy the owner or occupant thereof, or to commit any unlawful act;
    3. It is prima facie evidence of trespass for any person to be found on private or public property which is posted or fenced as provided in subsection 2 without lawful business with the owner or occupant of the property.

4. An entryman on land under the laws of the United States is an owner within the meaning of this section.

5. As used in this section:

(a) “Fence” means a barrier sufficient to indicate an intent to restrict the area to human ingress, including, but not limited to, a wall, hedge or chain link or wire mesh fence.
    NRS 207.205 Posting land without permission of owner or occupant.

1. It is unlawful for any person to post such land within the meaning of subsection 2 of NRS 207.200 unless the person has:

(a) Obtained written authorization from the owner or occupant of the land, or any building thereon, to do so unless the person is the owner or occupant.

Sounds like you.

http://leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-207.html#NRS207Sec205

Default Re: Flyers Under Hotel Room Doors

You'd certainly be inviting a criminal trespass issue. Hotels are there to run their business, not provide a captive audience for your advertising. The hotel could also potentially sue you in civil court, asking for damages in that their staff would have the additional burden of cleaning up flyers placed in empty rooms, plus loss of reputation for the hotel (start counting that in the tens of thousands of dollars) as being one where ads are slipped under doors. I know that in various counties in Florida hotels have requested, and police have obliged, in bringing charges for criminal mischief in one county, and for vandalism in another. How probable that might be in the county in your scenario, only the local PD can answer. Nevada and Florida both have huge tourism business that is highly competitive, and anything that makes an establishment look bad isn't going to go by quietly. Bottom line is that yes, if you're on hotel property conducting business (like passing out flyers) without permission of the property owner, you can face both civil and criminal issues. Bottom line: get permission, or get lost.

1. Sponsored Links