Default University Denying My Minor

My question involves education law in the State of: CA

I picked up a minor last year (my 4th year). To finish my minor I had to take an extra quarter of school. I had one last class to take (an independent research class) in order to finish the minor but the university ended up canceling the minor and firing the professor who taught the last class.

Now they are saying that there's nothing I can do and that I will not be getting my minor. The only contract that I remember signing is the one that outlined all the classes I would need to take to get the minor.

I was wondering if I can argue for the minor, or to get the money back for all the classes I took for the minor and for the extra time spent as well?

Thanks!

Default Re: University Denying My Minor

You can argue anything you like. But if they are no longer offering a minor in that area, and you did not complete the coursework, I can't see them giving you the minor. As for getting money back, you DID take the courses and you DID acquire the education. Why should they give you any money back?

The reason I think I'm entitled to something is because I signed the contract outlining all the classes with the intention of being able to achieve my minor. If I knew that the minor was going to be cancelled beforehand I wouldn't even have bothered to take the extra 5-6 classes and wouldn't have needed to take that extra quarter and saved myself a few thousand bucks.

I just don't see how it's fair to offer you a minor and not letting you finish it, even though you have put your money and time into it.

Life isn't fair sometimes. And I very much doubt that what you signed was actually a contract.

Why can't you simply take a different class and complete the minor? Why didn't you seek an independent study with a different professor?

Universities do not guarantee that classes will be offered every semester, even classes required for the completion of a major or minor.

Nobody cares about minors. In the real world.

Having attended three universities and having earned two degrees, I can't imagine that the school you are attending will not work with you to find a solution to this. It sounds like the whole thing was beyond your control and theirs.

1. Sponsored Links