Default Running Red Light in Georgia (Atlanta)

I got a ticket for running a red light from a police officer. I am pretty sure the intersection did not have any red light cameras so basically it is his word against mine. It is my first moving violation since I got my DL 4 years ago. I want to avoid getting points so my insurance stays low.

3 questions,

What plea (guilty vs. not guilty) would leave me with a better chance of avoiding getting points or having the judge forgive them?

In case I plea not guilty and lose, how much are the court fees that I need to pay?

Can I do traffic school to avoid getting points?

Tnx in advance,

Default Re: Running Red Light in Georgia (Atlanta)

Guilty - You are subject to any and all penalties and the judge will hand them out.
    Not Guilty - You want a trial and may win or lose. If it's an officer's word versus yours, you will lose without some other evidence. Do not perjure yourself trying to get out of it, that will just make things worse.
    Nolo - The judge will most likely only hit you with fines and waive any/some points. This is entirely at the judge's discretion. Some judges announce how Nolos work in their court prior to beginning the docket. If your judge doesn't, watch others and see how the judge reacts to Nolo pleas before doing the same. Oh, and pray yours isn't the first case on the docket.

GA does not offer traffic school to avoid points, unless the judge decides to reduce it to a non-mover upon completion.

I have no idea how much the fines are. You used to be able to go to the Atlanta Municipal Court site and get an idea.

If any of your friends/acquaintances say that it will automatically be dismissed if the officer doesn't show, that is entirely up to the judge as there is no legal requirement. They can just continue it. That happened to me once. Officer didn't show the second time and then the judge tossed it.

1. Sponsored Links