Default How to Be Informed when Relative Dies

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: New York

My parents divorced over 30 years ago when I was a child. I have not been in contact with my biological father since. I know he lives in the area.

When he dies, if he has no will, I assume I'd be a beneficiary of his estate, along with my two other siblings. Perhaps my mother also/instead.

How will I know when he dies? Will someone from the state contact me? I assume they have some database showing he's my biological father and I'm still alive. Right?
    Should I be concerned that the executor of the will or administrator (if there is no will) may not try hard enough to locate me?

Thanks
    Ion

Default Re: How to Be Informed when Relative Dies

Did he remarry? Does he have other children by anyone other than your mother?

Quote Quoting Carry
    View Post
    Did he remarry? Does he have other children by anyone other than your mother?
    Not to my knowledge.

no, there is no database that links you to your father.

If he dies intestate, whomever, if anybody does, probate his estate, they must attempt to determine who his heirs are and contact them. If nobody probates his estate, it is quite likely nobody will tell you given your history with him.

From the little I've read online, if there is no will, the court decides an administrator. Surely the state must have some way of determining who the relatives are. Even the police contact next of kin when someone's killed in a car accident. Is it all just done by asking neighbors or something?

Time to suckup and go visit dad. Scope out his info and watch for him to die.

the court decides an administrator.
    The court appoints an administrator when someone petitions the court to open probate. If nobody petitions the court to open probate, the Surrogate's Court does not care. The Surrogate's court does not go searching around for those that have passed away and for whom a probate estate has not been opened. And, except if the deceased owed some state department or agency money, the state does not care.

Even if someone opens probate, the Surrogate's Court relies upon that person's honesty and integrity in determining the deceased's heirs. The Surrogate's Court is not in the genealogy business.

1. Sponsored Links