Default Alternatives to a Pardon for a Class A Felony in Texas

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Texas

Greetings,

I was convicted of two class A felony charges in 1991 involving possession of marijuana and psilocybin. A third indictment on another class A involving marijuana was not prosecuted as part of the plea. The third charge was egregious in that I received it while out on bond.

I completed my probation in the minimum of time at the recommendation of my probation officer. Since that time I have not accrued so much as a traffic ticket. I've also lost out on many job opportunities and my family has suffered right along with me.

Nearing 50, I'd like to return to school, but options are limited with these convictions. Is there any option outside of a pardon in Texas? It seems odd that Federal law trumps State, yet the only recourse for me seems to be at the state level. I don't hold hope of a presidential pardon any more than I do one from Governor Perry, who I don't believe has issued a pardon during any of his terms.

I did contact an attorney back in 1998, who admitted he didn't know much about the process. He asked for some time to research the matter and got back to me saying that it appeared that I would need a pardon. He advised contacting an attorney who worked at the capitol and mentioned a process prior which involved showing a need for a firearm, or having someone prominent in the community to speak on my behalf. The details are all a bit foggy now, but I am friends with politicians, business owners and even an attorney who works for the State Bar. None of them are aware of my past, but I suspect would be willing to speak for my character.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this. I don't expect much, but my family is again encouraging me to pursue what options might be available to me. So, thank you.

Default Re: Alternatives to a Pardon for a Class A Felony in Texas

Why would this affect going to school? Unless you wanted loans...

Default Re: Alternatives to a Pardon for a Class A Felony in Texas

It makes no difference at all with my ability to go back, but it certainly has quite a bit to do with the fruitfulness of undertaking it. The reason I contacted that attorney in '98 was that I had been handed a position which started at 55k, only to be turned down once the felony was revealed. That is only one instance of many, but came at a time in which I desperately needed stable employment.

At the time my attorney assured me that I could have had a deferred adjudication, in fact the prosecutor had approved as much. We drew an unfortunate choice for the judge and I was left with the choice of either taking the felonies and probation, or going through the entire process again with another judge. I was young and thought my life would remain as it was then and would always be self-employed, so I turned it down. I also didn't want the resulting legal fees which would accrue while the process was started all over again.

I had no idea the weight it would been to me and my family. I was shocked when I discovered I couldn't rent a decent apartment because of the convictions. Fortunately, I found a sympathetic apartment manager and remained there until purchasing a home. It's no wonder the rate of recidivism; any inclination towards crime coupled with being relegated to a lower caste. That makes two monkeys on one's back.

1. Sponsored Links