Default Spouse Responsible for Ex-Spouse Medical Bills

My question involves estate planning in the state of: Tennessee

My ex- husband has been ill for several years. currently his medical bills are covered by Medicare and Private Insurance. Since I brought all the monies into the marriage, we just finalized our divorce to protect my assets.

My question is this: we are legally divorced but still live together. I am in the process of refinancing the home in my name only.
    If, in the future, he is unable to pay his medical bills can I be held liable for them and the creditors come after my assets and/or home?

Thank you.

Default Re: Spouse Responsible for Ex-Spouse Medical Bills

if you are legally divorced and you do not accept liability for the debts, no, they cannot come after you for his debts.

That is for all future debts of course. They can still come after you for past or existing debts.

1. Sponsored Links