Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Package check at a store

chan buys a product and pays for it. chan moves to the door. a door checker stops chan and asks to search his bag. can chan refuse?

chan thinks that the store owns the property only up until the point of sale. once product is paid for chan owns it and is under no obligation to show it to anyone on the way out.

is it ilegal to detain chan in this way?

Default Re: Package check at a store

If they have probable cause for shoplifting, they can detain you until the police arrive.

No not shoplifting. chan is told many american stores search you on the way out. if you dont buy anything you just walk past guard. if you do buy something you must stop and be searched by the guard. bestbuy/compusa/ and many others ask to look in chans bag. can chan just walk away. i am tired of this.

In what state?

In most states you're free to say "no" and walk away.

Not all stores do this, but the ones you mentioned are notorious for it.

http://www.crimedoctor.com/loss_prevention_3.htm

by not participating in this can Chan be charged with other things such as disturbing the peace. these people stand right in front of Chan and the door is behind them. at what point does it become an illegal detainment.

also can they ban Chan from the store if i not comply? can they say "show us your bag Chan or you cant come back"?

chan travels del/md/va/dc/pa

Quote Quoting THEAMAZINGCHAN
    View Post
    by not participating in this can Chan be charged with other things such as disturbing the peace. Only if you are doing something illegal. these people stand right in front of Chan and the door is behind them. at what point does it become an illegal detainment. Walk around them.

also can they ban Chan from the store if i not comply? can they say "show us your bag Chan or you cant come back"? Yes, it's possible that they could ban you.

chan travels del/md/va/dc/pa
    Personally, having my bags checked never bothered Happy.

Happy thinks if you don't have anything to hide it is not a big deal.

Here are other opinions on this issue:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp...4&view=printer

You also don't have to shop at those stores, but that is just Happy's opinion.

Chan found rip off report link most entertaining. Very much enjoyed hearing views of people from the russian federation give opinions on american bag checks at american store "wallmart", and hearing about 40 lbs of dog food.

also enjoyed how people compare this practice to customs checkpoints and international security.

thanking to happy for most enjoyable link.

Quote Quoting THEAMAZINGCHAN
    View Post
    also can they ban Chan from the store if i not comply? can they say "show us your bag Chan or you cant come back"?

It is private property and if they do not wish to allow you to be a customer, they have that right. They can prohibit anybody from entering their store unless it is based upon one of the forms of illegal discrimination.

Thumbs up Re: Package check at a store

Only 1 or 2 stores where I shop attempt this. I do not show them the receipt or the contents of the bag; I don't stop when they ask and they usually just let me pass.

If they ever attempted to stop me and insist I show them the contents of the bag, I would ask them if they thought I had stolen something. Naturally, they will say 'no, but it is the store policy.' I would reply that I did not steal anything and that I have my receipt, but, if they don't think I stole anything, then there is no reason for the search. I refused to be searched...it is not a citizen's arrest, therefore they have no special rights.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast