Default Comp Time Only

My question involves employment and labor law for the state of: Florida

I am employed by a large law enforcement agency in Central Florida. We are not covered by a union at this time. We are paid hourly, work 12 hour shifts, and are paid biweekly. We are allotted one 45 minute break per shift. I have a few questions as I know labor laws are different for public safety employees.

We are required to work overtime for court, deposition, and various other reasons. We are not allowed overtime pay and receive comp time instead.

Now the agency has begun to require it's to work on our days off as well as our regular shifts in addition to court time and other mandatory things during the day. For example I will work from 6p to 6a, have to be at the courthouse at 8a for a trial that lasts until 4 or 5p, then be back on duty at 6p for another 12 hour shift, while working 5 12 hour days strait. Our customary schedule had us working a maximum of three days strait but we are now working an extra 2 more shifts to cover the opposite platoon. Of course we are not even allowed to code the time as paid overtime on our time sheets.

My concern is we then have officers gadling asleep on duty and wrecking cars as well as other exhaustion and family life (due to never being there) related issues... And not being paid overtime. Is this legal?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Comp Time Only

If you're talking about police officers, I expect that this is the result of a union contract. Is that the case?

Default Re: Comp Time Only

We do not have a union at this time. I imagine id we did this would not be an issue.

1. Sponsored Links