Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Acute Pain Mismanagement

My question involves malpractice by a lawyer in the state of: New Mexico

About a month ago I was hit by a car while riding my motorcycle. As a result of the accident, my tibia and fibia were fractured and required open reduction internal fixation. Needless to say, this was a very painful experience. To make matters worse, I was on soboxone when this happen, approximately 2 mg per day. This is because I have had an issue with pain meds (no legal problems). This is something I did on my own, with my doctor. So I have no history of having a problem with narcotics.

Anyway.. On with the point of this post. When I finally came to, about 4 hours after the accident, I told the nurses and doctors that I was on soboxone at 2 mg/day. I also told them my doctor's name. As most care providers are aware, soboxone will block narcotics. A lot of narcotics have to be administered in order to knock the soboxone off receptors. The doctors and the nurses treated me like scum. I had to scream for meds in the ER and through that first day and night. The next morning after the accident, was surgery. A this time, I was given a large dose of fentanyl (sp?). Fentanyl was strong enough to replace the soboxone. And, it had been long enough so that the soboxone had reached its half life, which can be up to 37 hrs. It can last a very long time.

My point is that I was in agony for the 1st 20 hrs in the hospital. When I asked for something to help with the pain, I got attitude and excuses such as, "we'll have to call the doc". What the hell?. My leg is hanging on by muscle tissue, and these people think I am faking it so that I can get a fix. For real! This is no joke.

After the surgery, I was put on a dilaudid drip (.1 mg/10 minutes) with 1 mg/ 2 hours injection. This was not enough. And at nights, I had to beg for the injections (more attitude). By the 3rd day, they started giving me oxycodone pills, in addition to everything else. This finally got the pain under control. On day 4, I got the hell out of there. But get this, I am on .1mg/10 min dilaudid drip, 1 mg/2 hr injection of dilaudid, and 20 mg of oxycodone every 4 hrs, and the doc gives me a prescription of oxycodone at 10 mg/4 hrs to go home on. Needless to say by the 2nd day out of the hospital I was in so much pain I couldn't function. Luckily for me, I have a good PCP whom saw me immediately. She prescribed 4 mg dilaudid every 4 hrs. this solved,the problem.

The pain, for the most part is gone now, and i no longer require pain meds. But for the time that I did, the doctors and other care providers at this particular hospital treated me like scum because I told them I was on soboxone. they would not believe that I was in a lot of pain and they would not call my PCP for any advise (not that they have to do this, but my doc knows my history). I am so angry at the way I was treated. Do I have any recourse? And get this, I am a paying customer. Can you imagine how people get treated that don't have any payment options.

O.. I forgot to mention the resident who had to verify the level of my pain by coming in my room in the middle of the night one evening, while i was asleep, to twist my toes to see how much it would really hurt. As I almost flew off the bed due to the pain it caused, he told me that this was common practice. WTF!! I could hardley believe what i was hearing. I want to sue these bastards. I was treated like a slab of meat and a junky, and i did not appreciate it at all. They fixed my leg, but that's all they did. I am a professional that had a problem in the past with pain meds. A problem which I dealt with on my own. I did not need to be treated like that.

Default Re: Acute Pain Mismanagement

What are your permanent damages?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

From the hospital attitude or the injury?

Your injury is, at this point, irrelevant. You're complaining about pain management. We need to know how you have been permanently damaged.

Do not microwave grapes

Luckily for us, the mind does not remember pain. Right! I don't know how to equate the way I was treated into terms of a permanent damage. Damages were done, but it's over. Is that all that can be said?

In all honesty, yes. In order to succeed with a med-mal suit of this nature, you would need to show long-term, tangible damages.

If you can't, then it's a non-starter. The best I think you could do - and this is a stretch, given that I'm not actually convinced that the standard of care was actually breached - is that the hospital reduce your bill somewhat.

Sorry.

Do not microwave grapes

That's really all I wanted to hear. If I could cause them a little discomfort to even the matter, I would do it in a second. I honestly believe I was mistreated in many ways and only wish I could return the favor.
    Thanks

I got attitude and excuses such as, "we'll have to call the doc". What the hell?.
    They Do have to call the Physician for the written/verbal order to give you ANY prescription medication.

O.. I forgot to mention the resident who had to verify the level of my pain by coming in my room in the middle of the night one evening, while i was asleep, to twist my toes to see how much it would really hurt. As I almost flew off the bed due to the pain it caused, he told me that this was common practice. WTF!!
    You were post-op after having open reduction tib/fib surgery. They pinch your toes to assess your circulation and level reaction to stimuli.

If you are unahppy with the care you received, you can always complain to the CEO and/or the patient advocate of the hospital.

In trauma/ER, the doc should be accessible and it should not take more than a few minute to assess pain and provide care. I was in a trauma center!

My toes were pinched several times a day. I know the difference between pinching and yanking. Thanks for your opinion, but what you stated is not an acurate description of my experience.

In addition to yourself, the Physician is treating other trauma patients. Some of them may have had more pressing, life threatening issues that needed to be immediately addressed.

My toes were pinched several times a day. I know the difference between pinching and yanking.
    Circulation is assessed very often, especially immediately post-op.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to explain why they do what they do.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast