Exclamation Being Falsely Accused of 'Rape'

Hi, First, I wasn't sure where to post this. I am from Canada, and these are really the only forums i could find.

So I met this girl online, in a forum for "canadians" i guess you could say. we met, with intentions of just hanging out really.

What ended up happening is we both got wasted, and had sex.

A lot has happened since, she has been to my house a few times and i have been to her house a few times. but she hates me for reasons i wont go into.

She told everyone on the forum ( this includes people i know in real life ) that i raped her. when i confronted her about it she said she did it as a joke. but it's ruining my image as a human being. people who dont use the forum are asking me about it, people in the forum are asking me about it. its getting annoying, really.

she isnt pressing charges and i dont think she plans to.

I have text message proof that she said it as a joke, which is good for me, right?

Is there anything i can do? should i lawyer up and sue her? can i even do that?

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Being Falsely Accused of 'Rape'

The laws in Canada and the laws in the US are not the same, which is why we ask for your state. We don't have any experts in Canadian law, here.

But it can't hurt to consult local counsel about what options you may or may not have. This is serious.

Thanks. Sorry for posting here. Yes, it is serious. but she doesn't think so. still making jokes about the subject, on the forum of course. I think i'm going to lawyer up and do something about it because it's getting out of hand. every day at least 5 people harass me about it and it makes me sick to my stomach even hearing the word.

FYI, I don't know if it's still the case, but there used to be at least one US state where, if she was drunk when you had sex, it was AUTOMATICALLY considered rape because it was figured that she was not capable of making informed consent. And depending on the circumstances, that argument can still fly. So this may not be as simple as just her making a "false" claim.

We were both drunk. And she has admitted to her telling people i raped her as a joke multipul times. and i have proof of it

Okay, fine. But that doesn't mean that you couldn't still be charged, or even convicted, if the cards went against you.

then wouldnt she be charged of rape aswell? that doesnt sound like it makes any sense.

Look. I don't have a crystal ball, and I've already told you I don't know Canadian law. All I'm trying to do here is make you aware that there can be more to your problems than her making nasty accusations about you. You seem to think that the only possible issue is making her stop saying bad things about you. I'm trying to tell you that it isn't NECESSARILY that simple - that you DID have sex with her when she was not capable of informed consent and that it is not outside the realm of possibilty that if she got her back up badly enough, she could make some criminal charges stick. You need a lawyer for more than to make her admit to a "joke" that may not be a joke at all - you need a lawyer to make sure you don't end up in jail.

But if you want to think I'm being silly, fine. Pay no attention. It's all one to me whether you get charged with rape or not - I get paid the same either way.

1. Sponsored Links