Cool Threatened With Prosecution for Taking Gifts from Online Suitor While Married

My question involves defamation in the state of: california. iam a married women my husband works alot. so i got on baddoo a a friendship/dating site about 2 months ago just to make friends. i met a man named rick and he fell in love with my pictures and ask me to come out to california. i lied to him and said yes. so then i tried to break it off. he said he was so hurt over me that he loved me and i had hurt him so bad. he would give me a gift everyweek by adding phone minutes to my prepaid cell phone. so yesterday he texted me and i told him i was married and he said he was hurt. and said i owed him $200.00 for the cell phone minutes. i said i owe you nothing it was a gift from you. and i said my husband said he didnt have to buy minutes while you paid for them. and he got mad and said you lied to me and i dont believe thats even your picture. so i texted some profanity and cussed and called him names on text. and then he said your man is no match for me. and i said my husband will beat the shit out of you. and we live 1200 miles from him. i was just talking bull on text. so then he said he called the police and it was a federal crime across state lines to threaten another person and he said he was pressing charges against me and prosecuting for the threatening for my husband to beat the shit out of him 12oo miles away. so he sent a text 20 min later the police are on their way they are coming to get the text so i can i can prosecute you. so i left him alone and didnt contact him no more last night. so i called the california police. i was told that was not federal and that just to not send him anymore text that he was just trying to scare me with the police. my question is can he press charges 1200 miles away for text threatening to beat him up. or is he trying to scare me because he is hurt. he said the police would find me through my prepaid cell phone. he dont even know my address and we have never met each other in person. can he press charges against me in a court of law or just most likley trying to scare me. to get back at me. also the police that i called said : he cant sue me for the $200.00 he added cell phone minutes to my phone it was a gift from him. he would call me and say can we talk and i would say i dont have the minutes on my phone, he would say i will go add some money to your cell phone and so we can talk. He added $200.00 in 2 months. so I feel it was a present or gift so he could talk to me on my pre-paid cell phone. and about 2 weeks he ask me to come to visit to california at his house he said we would get married. i lied to him and told him my husband was dead. and i told my husband about rick. and he laughed and said oh well if he wants to buy you cell phone mins thats up to him , it takes it off me buying phone cards for you. so i never came out to california and rick the guy on baddoo. sent me texts iam so confused. did you ever really love me? so yesterday he sent a text did you ever really love me at all? i said no i liked you but you are not my type you are a ruffian and your ex wife keeps your daughter away from you because your dangerous. and then he sent a text: your husband should be glad he is dead. i wrote and said he is alive and well. and he sent another text leave me alone, this is one of your lies. you lied and said he was dead. and now all along he was alive. leave me alone. and then he sent another text message: your a liar not a christian , your a hypocrite. i texted back and said i hope you die soon.... rick sent a text: i probably will soon. ( he is wild and does all kinds of wild things). so then he said your husband james is no match for me. I texted : james will beat the shit of you. (we live 1200 miles from california and him or further). so he texted back: you just convicted yourself. threatening me across state lines is a federal offense a felony charge. iam pressing charges and convicting you. 10 min later he texts back: the police are on their way to pick up all your messages,emails,text and ect. I am prosecuting you for lying to me telling me you love me and you lied , you said your husband was dead, now you say he is alive, and you made me spend $200.00 ON PREPAID CELL MINUTES. AND I AM ALSO PROSECUTING YOU FOR THREATENING ME WITH YOUR HUSBAND GOING TO BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF ME. and he said the police are on their way.... so i never texted back at all. i called the california state police to ask if he can get me for lying or threatening for my husband to beat the s out of him 1200 miles away..... i called two police office in california both said it is not a federal offense. and that he most likely is mad and just trying to scare me. and that he cannot prosecute me for texting him saying my husband will beat the shit out of him and we live 1200 miles away. and they said he is most likely just scaring me and just not to text or call or have nothing at all to do with this man. i told them i wont have nothing else to do with him... so iam wondering. we have never met he doesnt even know me at all. can he prosecute me for all of these things 12oo miles away or more. he doesnt even know me. and our relationship has only been thru texting and calling each other. we have never met. he fell in love with a picture. he dont even know if its me or not. he just knows that he found the picture beautiful and he never loved me he dont even know me at all. he loved the picture he saw on baddoo the friendship/dating site and fell in love with the picture and wanted to marry me because of the picture not because he loved me , he dont even know me or ever met me in person. it ws just done on text and talking on the phone. so there was no letters other than on baddoo. and that a internet site. and the police yesterday that i called in california told me that websites are bad for dating or friendship not to get on the sites and get involved just to leave this man rick alone dont bother him or respond to anymore text or phone calls or anything leave him alone.

Default Re: Text Conversations Followed by Weird Interrogation

about 2 months ago i met a man on baddoo. its basically a dating site or a friendship site. i told him i was a widow and he fell in love with the pictures i had on the website. i actually am married and no kids. my husband works alot of hours. and he knew about this man i met. this man lives in california. i live in indiana. we have never met in person, he dosn't know my address. he has never met me at all other than text or phone or on baddoo web site. I did lie and tell him i loved him. he ask me to come out to california and marry him. i said yes. on text and on the phone. so i never showed up in california when he thought i was coming out. so he texted me and said he was so hurt by me and said i dont even think it was your pictures on badoo. so yesterday he texted me and said: did you ever really loved me? I texted back no I liked you. i told him i had a husband. i texted this to him. so he said you lied all this time to me and then he said your husband is no match for me. I said my husband james will beat the shit out of you,. so he texted me said iam calling the police and press charges against you for lying and threatening me that your husband will beat me up. 10 min. later he texted again: and said the police are on their way to pick up your texts,messages and so on and so forth. and iam prosecuteing you, it is federal offense. and so i called the california police. 2 police stations I called both gave me great advise. first they said he cant charge you for the text and you live 1200 miles away and leave him alone and dont get on websites like that. and they said: he dont know you. he is trying to scare you. and i thanked them but iam afraid he will pose a complaint or file charges against me 1200 miles away and he said the police can find my addr: thru my prepaid cell phone which he dont have my address or anything. iam worried

Quote Quoting missy gail
    View Post
    2 police stations I called both gave me great advise. first they said he cant charge you for the text and you live 1200 miles away and leave him alone and dont get on websites like that. and they said: he dont know you. he is trying to scare you. and i thanked them but iam afraid he will pose a complaint or file charges against me 1200 miles away and he said the police can find my addr: thru my prepaid cell phone which he dont have my address or anything. iam worried
    If a statement by the police you that you're not going to face criminal charges does not reassure you, what do you imagine that we can tell you that's going to set your mind at ease?

If you're that terrified, legal issues aside, perhaps you need to consider if sending the guy the $200 is worth the peace of mind it buys.

Default Re: Threatened With Prosecution for Taking Gifts from Online Suitor While Married

Your husband would be well to be rid of you also.

Good Lord, how old are you? What you did was not criminal, but still very immature and just plain wrong morally.

Quit signing up on dating sites - you are MARRIED. Grow up and act like a married adult.

Personally, I would consider sending the guy his money. It's just the right thing to do. Think how you would feel if you were lonely and spent money on a person who was just using you. Because you took advantage of that guy.

Here's more advice -
    Follow the advice the police gave you.
    Buy a new pre-paid phone.
    Transfer the minutes to the new phone.
    Throw away the old Pre-paid phone.
    No more calling or texting Rick or people you "meet" on dating/friendship sites.

I think my brain just imploded.

OP basically pimped herself out, because she wanted attention? Send the guy the money.

Seriously.

Send him the money. Along with a note that you will never both him again. And then don't text, don't call....

Do you like pina colladas?

Unless you are in Indiana, I suspect you won't get much back for the effort Ron.

1. Sponsored Links