Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm Barred from Fedex on Unfair Grounds, Do I Have Protections

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Pennsylvania

Iím a frequent visitor of FedEx offices to utilize their Free Wifi Internet service for both business and leisure for some time. At this particular location, employees began to become rude and disrespectful and when I brought the issue to the attention of the manager. I was quickly cited the No loitering policy and I wasnít welcome there. If this was based on Facts, when I requested if there were any time limit on the usage of their free Wifi service, they responded there was none. Iím not sure how it would it being legally called loitering? Then I was later informed that the services are for customers only. Right now Iím pending a response from FedEx as to, is purchase required to use their internet service. In this case, I feel they are being biased against individuals who or may not be homeless, with my apparel seems to suggest. Do I have any Protections in this situation? If there is any lack of information in this comment, please donít hesitate to ask, thanks.

best regards,
    bombshellz

Default Re: I'm Barred from Fedex on Unfair Grounds, Do I Have Protections

Fedex is free to bar you. About the only reason they can't bar you is on the basis of race, sex, etc... The fact that you're freeloading off them is perfectly valid for them to tell you to move along.

Of course, you're free to inquire to the manager or corporate as to what the policies actually are and their intents to see if you can camp out there on the internet without actually buying something.

Fedex is free to bar you.
    I find it troublesome for a business to bar an individual without proper merit and can still be enforceable by law?

The fact that you're freeloading off them...
    I don’t understand how I am “freeloading” a free service? If it was a paying service I would be paying if the price are reasonable, which they have available but opt for the Free Wifi Service?

and their intents to see if you can camp out there on the internet without actually buying something.
    Camping out? That seems to suggest I’m using the location for housing?

I did make a inquiry as a guest what I must purchase to utilize their free Wifi internet service and I’m awaiting a response.

A business is nothing more than a private entity that allows the public the privledge of entering the premises in order to conduct transactions which frequently include the exchange of services or items. Those entities have the right to refuse service to anyone and demand that anyone exit their private property so long as the reason is not legally barred such as race, religion, etc. Just because it is open to the public, doens't make it public property. You have no right to use the service just because it is free. FedEx can demand that you leave the property for abusing the free priviledge of the internet.

Quote Quoting bombshellz
    View Post
    I find it troublesome for a business to bar an individual without proper merit and can still be enforceable by law?
    Huh? They've got plenty of proper merit. No business is obligated to allow you to sit around their store using up their free facilities without buying anything.
    In fact, they're not obligated to let you stay even if you aren't buying something.
    Once a private facility tells you to leave, if you don't it's trespassing and that is ENFORCEABLE.

I don’t understand how I am “freeloading” a free service? If it was a paying service I would be paying if the price are reasonable, which they have available but opt for the Free Wifi Service?
    They're paying for it to offer it as a benefit to their customers. The rent on the shop, the cost of running the wifi, the cost of the internet serivce, electricity, etc... it's
    all their stuff and they can charge or not, offer it or deny it as they see fit.

The only "merit" a private entity needs to bar you from the premises is that they don't want you there. As long as the reason isn't "he's Black/handicapped/old/Muslim", they are within their legal rights to show you the door, close it in your face, and call the cops if you return.

You aren't entitled to use of their facilities. Go use the WiFi at the library.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

@antrc170 Thanks for the explanation as I was having difficulty understanding.

Under these set of circumstances, this falls under the right for a business owner to refuse service to anyone if such action doesn’t violate Civil Rights laws.
    If this were Civil Rights violation (further investigation would be required), what would be the course of action?

Thanks for the clarification

If you are going to try to make this a Civil Rights case you have a long uphill road. First you need to demonstrate that the company has a standing policy, or history of avoiding business with persons of your same gender, race, religion, ethnic background, etc. In addition, you'll need to provide some substantial proof that the business refused you for that reason and not something else. For example, if an employee tells you that you can't use the wi-fi because you're black or Jewish. Third, to make this a case you'll need to show that the company when confronted with this evidence refused to act upon it.

You're case is not going to be a civil rights case. The company is well within their rights to refuse to allow you to loiter at their location for the use of the internet. Loitering means that you are in one place idly with no specific purpose. Although you may be using the internet, you have no specific purpose to purchase any product, promote the purchase of, or in any other manner provide a service for FedEx.

The purpose of the wi-fi at the location is to entice customers to the location by providing an extra convienence while they presumably wait for their order to process. The exteneded use of the internet is not the intention, and I doubt that they are set up to handle such.

I recommend you simply find a mcdonalds, dunkin donuts or library with free internet access.

OP, before you even get started, being homeless or looking like you are homeless are not protected classes under the law. In fact, persons with strong or unpleasant body orders are frequently denied service.

In what ways were the staff rude to you? Did any of that rudeness have to do with your personal hygiene?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast