Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Changing Minor Child's Last Name in Georgia

    My question involves name change laws in the State of Georgia: how do I start the process to change my daughters last name to her father's last name? He was not at the hospital when she was born and I was legally married to another man (seperated for 6 yrs) at the time of her birth. I'm divorced and have established paternity now we want her name changed. Any advise if appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Changing Minor Child's Last Name in Georgia

    Start here.
    Quote Quoting Name Change - What If the Person Is Under 18 Years Old (a Minor)?
    If the person who wants to have their name changed is a minor (under 18 years old), you must follow the regular procedure, plus you must get the written consent of the minor's parents. If both parents of the minor are dead, the minor's guardian must provide written consent. The written consent must be attached to the petition.

    Written consent of a parent is not required from a parent that has not contributed to the support of the minor for the five continuous years before the petition for name change is filed.

    The petition must also be "served" on the parents or guardian. This means that the petition is given in person to the parents or guardian by the sheriff or another local "process server". This is called "service of process." You have to pay a fee to have the petition served on the parents or guardian.

    If the parents or guardian live outside of Georgia then a copy of the petition should be sent by certified mail or statutory overnight delivery. If the address of the parents or guardian is not known, then they can be "served" by notice publication in the newspaper.

    If the petition is served on the parents or guardians living in Georgia, then the court will hear the petition and give a final judgment thirty (30) days from the date of service.

    If service is by certified mail or overnight delivery to the parents or guardians living outside of Georgia, then the court will have a hearing on the petition for name change and give a final judgment sixty (60) days from the date the parents or guardian receive the petition.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Drunk and Impaired Driving: Minor DUI in Georgia
    By goldpenguin in forum Drunk and Impaired Driving Charges
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 07:38 PM
  2. Changing a Child's Name: Changing My Daughter's Last Name, in Georgia
    By niquern in forum Name Change
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-12-2007, 11:55 AM
  3. Business Disputes: Changing Arbitration Venues in Georgia
    By thammond4984 in forum Business Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 10:23 AM
  4. Naturalization: Changing Last Name for Minor Before or After N-600
    By bobbybig in forum Permanent Residency and Naturalization
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-04-2007, 02:05 PM
  5. Changing Custody in Georgia
    By pinkpippi197 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Name Change Forms
Quick, easy-to-use forms for all 50 states.