Default Did Termination of Parental Rights Via Adult Adoption Terminate Grandparent Rights

I was granted an adult adoption at the age of 30 which formalized a life-long parental relationship with my stepfather. Thankfully, this terminated the parental relationship with my biological father, but I am pregnant now and hoping to verify that this action also terminated any grandparent rights he may have had to my children. Does anyone know if termination of parental rights via an adult adoption also terminates grandparent rights? I am happily married to the father of the child I am expecting (intact family) and we adamantly agree that our child must be protected from this biological grandparent. The adult adoption judgment was granted in my birth state of IL where the grandparent at issue still resides. I now live in MO with my husband and we intend to remain in that state to raise our child. Thanks in advance for any input.

Default Re: Did Termination of Parental Rights Via Adult Adoption Terminate Grandparent Right

Even without an adoption, grandparents don't HAVE rights unless they petition for and are granted a court order providing such. Courts only grant such orders in very limited circumstances, such as when a grandparent has been effectively raising the child - but in your circumstance, bio dad won't be able to establish rights regarding the child.

1. Sponsored Links