Default Conveyance by quit claim deed and income taxes

Hi
    I am in a Texas general partnership with one other partner. We flip houses and will be obtaining mortgages in my name (better credit). I am concerned with the income tax implications of doing this, since the houses (and presumably all the taxable income on sale) will be in my name. I have been advised to quit claim the house to the partnership after we close the mortgage, and then have the partnership sell it (we would then divide the profits/tax liability according to our ownership %).

Is this a realistic approach?...won't this be an issue for the mortgage company?
    If this is feasible, do I need a lawyer or can I just download a deed and have it recorded?

Thanks!

Default Re: Quit claim deed income tax issue

Quote Quoting cansley
    View Post
    Hi
    I am in a Texas general partnership with one other partner. We flip houses and will be obtaining mortgages in my name (better credit). I am concerned with the income tax implications of doing this, since the houses (and presumably all the taxable income on sale) will be in my name. I have been advised to quit claim the house to the partnership after we close the mortgage, and then have the partnership sell it (we would then divide the profits/tax liability according to our ownership %).

Is this a realistic approach?...won't this be an issue for the mortgage company?
    If this is feasible, do I need a lawyer or can I just download a deed and have it recorded? You should have the title company that you use to give you preliminary title reports on these transactions to do the deeds; you are asking for trouble if you do it yourself....

Thanks!

I am NOT a tax lawyer.

But I am not sure the IRS would fall for this. Ask a tax accountant.

By the way, it looks you are getting all the risk and half the profit. What is wrong with this picture?

1. Sponsored Links