Default Injury Caused by a Playful Dog

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: MI

My father inlaw and mother in law were at my house while my husband and I were at work babysitting our kids about 2-3yrs ago. My father in law and the kids were playing. The dog we had at the time was very exicted. He jumped up on my father inlaw and he fell and hit his side/stomach against our picnic table. He sustained some broken ribs. The ambualance was called. About 2-3 days later I was going to file a claim and my inlaws pretty much told me not to worry accidents happen. Since then we had to get rid of our dog as my son is allergic not because he was a bad dog. My inlaws are now falling on pretty hard times and are pursing a lawsuit against my husband and i and claiming it is not personal they need the money he had some pretty serious injuries and it is more agains the insurance company and not at us personally and that is what HOI is for blah blah blah, My father in law seems to be doing ok and works like a maniac renovating their home and fixing cars etc. He is not working but this inicient happen after the automotive firm he was working for made him retire so to speak. Per my HOI company they can claim up to 1000$ and anything more they would have to sue and our HOI is covered for up to 300thousand$. So what is the maximum they can get, and what is the likeley hood they can take our home away from us?

Default Re: Family Member Sueing for Persona Injury

Have you looked at the statute of limitations for such claims in your state?

Quote Quoting rockred75
    View Post
    Per my HOI company they can claim up to 1000$ and anything more they would have to sue and our HOI is covered for up to 300thousand$.
    So the insurance company has offered them $1,000 to go away, and beyond that they would have to sue? Do they have a lawyer?
    Quote Quoting rockred75
    So what is the maximum they can get, and what is the likeley hood they can take our home away from us?
    If your policy covers claims of up to $300,000, then the most they can get from your insurance company is $300,000. If you are telling us that this was a pretty minor injury, and that your insurance company is looking at this as a nuisance level ($1,000) claim, I wouldn't expect it to get anywhere near policy limits, let alone to exceed them. But we only know what you tell us.
    Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Have you looked at the statute of limitations for such claims in your state?
    It looks like it would be three years. If we're approaching that deadline and the insurance company is sticking with, "Take $1,000 or sue us," I expect that no lawyer is involved and the insurance adjuster sees a possibility of running out the clock.

I beleive it has only been 2yrs and per MI it has to be less than 3. My husband spoke with his mother and she knows about the claim limit and they want more as apparently my father in law cannot work becuase of this injury.

If the insurance company has only offered $1,000, it's safe to infer that they either don't believe your father-in-law suffered a serious injury or that they don't believe his injuries are related to the incident with the dog.

If you think that the injury is worth more than $300K, and your insurance company thinks it's a nuisance claim, you need to share some facts to shed light on that difference in opinion.

I believe it is a nuisusance claim and it is not worth more than 300K.

1. Sponsored Links