Exclamation Preparing for emancipation

I am a female living in Ca. with my mother and I am preparing to try and become emancipated. I am only turning 15 in September but I have been looking into emancipation for over a year. My situation is that I want to legally separate myself from my mother and move out of the house, I live with my 2 brothers (both younger) and my mom. My mom is an alcoholic and I have recently found out that she may have been fooling around with cocaine.
    My mother dose not have a job and we are mostly supported by welfare and relatives, though the money we have is usually spent on alcohol, bars, and other non necessities. There isnít always food in the house and the house is neglected and filthy. I just canít take it any more! This environment has made focusing on school imposable and is emotionally and physically effected my wellbeing.
    What I want to know is what steps can I take and how good of a case do I have to present when the time comes? I already know I must be 15 1/2, able to handle my own finances, show a source of steady income, and be able to live alone. I am already have a possible job to pay for a school I want to go to. I can write checks, mail letters, cook, clean, shop, do laundry, and Iím very good at handling money/budgeting.
    Also I want to ask about the psychological aspect of the situation. I am in therapy and I was institutionalized once last year for attempted suicide. I am also diagnosed with mild depression anxiety insomnia and ibs. The last two are recognizably caused by stress. And yet when I am visiting relatives for a few weeks or even a few days Iím not affected by any of those at all. But when I go back home it all starts again within the same 24 hours. So I want to know if this would negatively affect any case I would have or give me an advantage?

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated

Default Re: Preparing for emancipation

Quote Quoting whatshername
    View Post
    I am a female living in Ca. with my mother and I am preparing to try and become emancipated. I am only turning 15 in September but I have been looking into emancipation for over a year. My situation is that I want to legally separate myself from my mother and move out of the house, I live with my 2 brothers (both younger) and my mom. My mom is an alcoholic and I have recently found out that she may have been fooling around with cocaine.
    My mother dose not have a job and we are mostly supported by welfare and relatives, though the money we have is usually spent on alcohol, bars, and other non necessities. There isnít always food in the house and the house is neglected and filthy. I just canít take it any more! This environment has made focusing on school imposable and is emotionally and physically effected my wellbeing.
    What I want to know is what steps can I take and how good of a case do I have to present when the time comes? I already know I must be 15 1/2, able to handle my own finances, show a source of steady income, and be able to live alone. I am already have a possible job to pay for a school I want to go to. I can write checks, mail letters, cook, clean, shop, do laundry, and Iím very good at handling money/budgeting.
    Also I want to ask about the psychological aspect of the situation. I am in therapy and I was institutionalized once last year for attempted suicide. I am also diagnosed with mild depression anxiety insomnia and ibs. The last two are recognizably caused by stress. And yet when I am visiting relatives for a few weeks or even a few days Iím not affected by any of those at all. But when I go back home it all starts again within the same 24 hours. So I want to know if this would negatively affect any case I would have or give me an advantage?

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated

A:well im only 15 also turning 16 next month but another thing u can do is do well in school cause i thinks thats u haft to have anyways and im in the same thing as u but my dad and im having trouble b/c im a foster child!

Default Re: Preparing for emancipation

There is a considerable amount of information on emancipation in the California Courts self-help center.

1. Sponsored Links