Default Can a Public High School Require Seniors to Pay "Senior Dues" in Order to Graduate

My question involves education law in the State of: Georgia

My daughter is a senior at a public high school in Georgia. I would like to find out if the school can legally charge her "senior dues" amounting to $175. These fees include monies for yearbook, senior picnic, prom decorations, senior night and senior week. The fee does not include the sitting fee for pictures ($30), prom tickets ($60ea) or senior trip($240). The school tells me that if the dues are not paid, then my child does not recieve a diploma. I thought that students are supposed to have access to a free and public education. How can they legally charge this fee?

Default Re: Can a Public High School Require Seniors to Pay "Senior Dues" in Order to Graduat

I cannot read the policy from here, which puts me at a disadvantage, but I expect that the formal policy provides that the failure to pay the fees means that your daughter would not be able to participate in anything the fees were meant to pay for. Read the actual policy and, if necessary, seek clarification through the school district or board.

Default Re: Can a Public High School Require Seniors to Pay "Senior Dues" in Order to Graduat

So what you're telling us is that the taxpayers should foot the bill for her yearbook, senior picnic, prom decorations, senior night and senior week?

I live in Georgia. My daughter just graduated from high school and my wife is a school teacher in a high school.

You have greatly exaggerated the situation. You need not pay for ANY of those fees.... your daughter will just not participate in those activities. Your daughter will absolutely still receive a diploma.

Your question isn't even CLOSE to the truth.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    So what you're telling us is that the taxpayers should foot the bill for her yearbook, senior picnic, prom decorations, senior night and senior week?
    No. Perhaps the student in question isn't planning on going to prom or doesn't want a yearbook. Or the family is struggling like many people are and cannot pay for any of the "extras" in question. The fees in question seem pretty absurd - Like prom decorations should be included as part of the prom ticket.

It seems that the school in question is stating something that isn't true and that the parent should push back about it.

Or, alternately, the poster is overstating to make her point.

Quote Quoting Kg1982
    View Post
    No. Perhaps the student in question isn't planning on going to prom or doesn't want a yearbook. Or the family is struggling like many people are and cannot pay for any of the "extras" in question. The fees in question seem pretty absurd - Like prom decorations should be included as part of the prom ticket.

It seems that the school in question is stating something that isn't true and that the parent should push back about it.
    I will go even farther.

It is illegal to deny a diploma to a student in a public school based on the failure to pay any of the fees in the above question in Georgia.

I thought that students are supposed to have access to a free and public education.
    How educational, exactly, are prom, senior picnic, or the yearbook? Senior pics? Senior trip? No. None of those are included in the "education" part of "free public education", and they're most assuredly not covered in the "free" part, either.

I doubt you've been told that she won't graduate if she doesn't pay for extra-currics and a yearbook. That's illegal in every state in the Union. If you don't pay, she doesn't get a yearbook, doesn't participate in senior week. She not entitled to those unless she pays for them.

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    How educational, exactly, are prom, senior picnic, or the yearbook? Senior pics? Senior trip? No. None of those are included in the "education" part of "free public education", and they're most assuredly not covered in the "free" part, either.

I doubt you've been told that she won't graduate if she doesn't pay for extra-currics and a yearbook. That's illegal in every state in the Union. If you don't pay, she doesn't get a yearbook, doesn't participate in senior week. She not entitled to those unless she pays for them.
    Thanks nice post

1. Sponsored Links