Default Hospital Billed the Wrong Insurance Provider, Now Expects Me to Pay

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: WA

I was recently in a car accident involving only my vehicle. Both the driver and the passenger were taken to the ER. The accident was not claimed through the auto insurance provider, nor were the authorities informed of the incident. While at the ER I received stitches. I was on active duty military service at the time of the accident, so I told the hospital to bill the Army's insurance provider, TriWest. Instead, they billed my auto insurance provider, which was denied because I never claimed the accident. Now the hospital has waited well over a month to inform me that the claim was denied and that I am personally responsible for the ER bill.

They called me on the 20th of October, and I was officially released from active duty on the 19th of October. So I am no longer covered under the Army's insurance policies. I was on active duty at the time of the incident, and I was covered by TriWest at the time of the incident.

It is the hospitals fault for billing my auto insurance provider and not billing TriWest like I told them to. Because of this, am I really expected to pay the ER bill?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Default Re: Hospital Billed the Wrong Insurance Provider, Now Expects Me to Pay

Why did you give the hospital your auto insurance information if you did not expect them to make a claim to your auto insurance?

Have you tried to submit the claim to TriWest? You were insured, from what you have told us, at the time you obtained the treatment.

1. Sponsored Links