My question involves criminal law for the state of: New Jersey

My wife is an alcoholic and has made some very poor decisions with driving while under the influence. She has not been arrested or pulled over yet, but I fear it will happen at some point. I'm also very concerned for the safety of our children. I'm considering getting an ignition interlock device installed on her car. I understand that these are sometimes required when a driver gets a DUI; what I'm wondering is, can I do it proactively without the courts getting involved? Can I just call a manufacturer and order one and have it installed on my own? Or are these only installed as a result of a DUI.

Thank you.