Default Why is the Court Granting Continuances to the Defense

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

I've endured years of verbal domestic abuse, escalating to assaults & lastly physical battery causing serious injuries. Never called police on prior incidences. Major physical & verbal abuse/attack recently resuting in an arrest for battery on spouse. Police took pictures. He served 5 days in jail, released as first time offense, no bail. Judge issued 3yr CPO & hearing to follow. He has received "many" continuances since the incident. Continues to claim his innocence; prime example of his arrogance & abuse. Never once have I verbally abused or physically struck my husband. Medical & Drs rpts/tests/Acute PTSD diagnosis/historical incidences for previous assaults/pictures of contusions/phys therapy rpts - all submitted to his case file.

Why so many continuances requested by defense? He hasn't provided a guilty plea as of yet. There is "no excuse for abuse". What ANGLE could the defense atty possibly go for? I'm a clean slate, plus I have witness' (not present at incident) after the incident and friends witnessing his previous verbal abuse & anger episodes which I journaled, documented & made aware to specific individuals.

If he pleads (& rightfully should) guilty, aren't first time offenders (finally caught & brought to justice) usually given a fine, community service, 52wk battery program, spousal support & a continued CPO? Under Marsy's law; doesn't victims have the right to question so many continuances?

Default Re: Why is the Court Granting Continuances to the Defense

There are many reasons for the granting of a continuance. You don't have any recourse but to let the wheels turn .. it does not change any facts of the case.

Contact the prosecutor involved in the case and ask him or her why there are so many continuances.

The court can consider a wide variety of reasons for granting continuances. By not granting some continuances a guilty verdict could be overturned on appeal. A question for you. Is the prosecutor objecting to these continuances or or not when the defense requests them?

1. Sponsored Links