Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Father With Antisocial Personality Disorder Wants Custody

    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Tennesse
    I am a single mother of a 4-year old boy. According to Tn law, I automatically have sole custody of my child unless the father petitions the court for parental rights.
    The father lived with us up until about 8 months ago. When our son was 3, he had hit him across the back with a leather strap leaving 2 large welts. There were also issues involving loaded firearms and failure of the father to supervise.
    I have been allowing the father to have generous supervised visits with the child, but due to his anger issues, I requested and got him to agree to a pyschological evaluation. He attended an 8 week Prevent Child Abuse class BEFORE the ealuation. The evaluator diagnosed Antisocial Personality Disorder and recommended that his visitation remain supervised until he gets therapy. This was done in June of this year. The father has refused therapy (now he denies that he refused, but is still not seeing anyone).
    He filed a petiton in family court asking for full custody. I have an ex-parte order of protection against him, and I hired an attorney. I tried to offer him an agreement, but he says that he wont neogiate because I have an attorney, haha. The evaluator has agreed to come to court. After the deposition, it seems his attorney is basing their request on the fact i'm unemployed, that I was once accused of embezzlement (never charged or convicted), and that i have poor moral character because Ive been married twice (no children) and I lived with my childs father and never married him. I do own my home and have a good amount of equity in it, he owns nothing.
    Otherwise, I am a very good mother and my child is well provided for. We live in a rural county with a conserative judge who has served for like 30 years.
    My question is this: Since I already have custody by default, under what grounds could he take my child from me? My attorney seems to think that standard visitation is likely and that he will proably get ordered into therapy. Im just confused as to why ANY attorney would advise him to pursue full custody? Also, he is 17 years older than me... age 56... would this matter?

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Somewhere near Canada

    Default Re: Aspd Father Trying to Take Custody Away from Single Mom

    Honestly? The common adage is "Ask for the moon". In other words, ask for everything and be happy with whatever you can get.

    It doesn't mean there's a realistic chance of him getting what he wants. I think you should listen to your attorney - dad is likely going to get standard visitation, perhaps with some form of therapy attached. To change the current status quo, Dad would have to either prove that you're unfit (you're not, by what you've said here) or show a significant change of circumstance (which I also don't see).
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

    Do not microwave grapes

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Custody and Visitation Issues: Me and My Daughter's Father Have Joint Custody, but I Have Primary, Physical Custody
    By ShastaBecker in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM
  2. Establishing an Order: Illegal Resident Alien Mom, U.S. Citizen Father, Can Father Gain Custody
    By mcuzco31 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 12:04 PM
  3. Divorce: Divorce from a Spouse with Borderline Personality
    By Jerzey in forum Divorce, Annulment and Separation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 10:01 PM
  4. Court Proceedings: Biological Father vs. Assumed Father for Custody, Mother is Deceased
    By bjmerrell in forum Paternity Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 02:51 PM
  5. Wife's Medication Causing Personality Change
    By lovemywife in forum Marriage, Cohabitation and Civil Unions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Custody Lawyer
Get help for your custody case. Consult a divorce lawyer for free.