Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Default If You Run Away at Age 17 in Texas Can You Be Forced Back Home

    I will be turning 17 in November. my mother and I just DO NOT get along and I feel as if she is holding me back. She also dislikes who I am dating, but I feel that is my right to chose who I wish to be with. So my question is can I move out when I turn 17 and not be forced back? Also, I plan to move in with my 19 year old boyfriend, he's 2 years older than me, and his parents in a different county. Can he or his parents get in trouble. At 17 am I legally old enough to "give consent." Also, can I withdraw from school and enroll in another school where he lives. My mother will be against all this 100% so I want to know can I, my boyfriend, or his mother do it legally?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: 17 in Texas

    Although you are statutorily allowed to consent to sexual contact, you are still a minor child and will be until your 18th birthday. Your mother gets to tell you where you go to school, the rules of the house, etc. You cannot go live with someone else for the heck of it. Your mom can even get a restraining order against your b/f if she so desires. If you runaway to live with him, he and his parents can be cited for contributing to the deliquency of a minor.

    The only thing your mom is holding you back from at the moment is making a lot of bad decisions.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: 17 in Texas

    We go through this same question... too frequently. If you would take the time to read other threads, you would find the answers.

    A Texas juvenile court has no jurisdiction over a 17-year-old, so some police departments won't force a 17-year-old to return home. You want to know the policies of your local police department? Ask them.

    The "contributing to the delinquency" statute can be read in this thread.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default Re: 17 in Texas

    Until you are 18, however, you cannot enroll in school anywhere without your parents' permission.

    I am excited, by the way, that your 19 year old boyfriend is comfortable having sex with his minor girlfriend in his parents' home.

    Do you get your own room or do you share his rockin' basement mancave?

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Disabilities and Accommodation: Forced Back to Work or Lose My Job
    By helpless in NY in forum Employment and Labor
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 11:59 PM
  2. Mom Trying to Get Kids Back Home in Texas
    By momythreetimes in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 03:07 PM
  3. Trespassing: Forced Out of My Home By a Houseguest
    By angelicaparker in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 03:04 AM
  4. Property Division: Can I Be Forced Out of My Home
    By help2222 in forum Divorce, Annulment and Separation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 07:15 AM
  5. Deeds - Quitclaim: Home Quit Claim Deed vs Forced Divorce Decree Sale of Home
    By Andre in forum Real Estate Ownership and Title
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Legal Forms - Buy easy-to-use legal forms.