Default Consequences of Failing to Pay a Ticket, Failing to Appear in Court

My question involves traffic court in the State of: CA

Background: Got a speeding ticket(80 in 65 zone) 2 years ago. Moved out of US the same week and hence wasn't able to appear or pay. FTA (40508A) was added with a civil assessment fees. I am still out of the country and just few months ago, I asked a friend of mine to pay the fees as the system doesn't accept foreign credit cards. My friend paid the ticket fee via the online system and he had to contact some collection agency to pay the FTA fees as that part was referred to a collection agency.

Few questions:

1. Just recently checked my DMV record and it states there that:
    License Suspended, Reason - FTA, Action Ended, Current License Status - Valid.
    Does tat mean that my license is valid and I can use it to drive after moving back to US or do I still need to go to DMV to get it reinstated?

2. DMV record shows that:
    VIOL/DT CONV/DT SEC/VIOL(22349A).... The CONV/DT is approx the same date when my friend made the payment. What is really meant by 'CONV/DT'?

3. For how long would the information about FTA and 22349A stay on my record?

4. Is this all taken care of now or do I need to do anything else as well after getting back to US?

5. I have read it somewhere that if FTA's are referred to a collection agency then they are treated as infractions. Is that true?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Consequences of Failing to Pay a Ticket, Failing to Appear in Court

It sounds like your suspension has run its course, but I'm not making any promises.

"DT" is short for "date". Violation date, conviction date.

What record are you talking about? Your driving record?

We're not in a position to verify whether you need to take additional steps or measures. I suggest, at a minimum, verifying with the DMV that your license is valid and no reinstatement fees are due.

The referral of a fine to collection agency does not change the nature of the underlying court action.

Default Re: Consequences of Failing to Pay a Ticket, Failing to Appear in Court

Quote Quoting kevin17
    View Post
    do I still need to go to DMV to get it reinstated?
    Yes.... You would have to go to the DMV, take and pass the written test, and pay the $55 reinstatement fee.

Quote Quoting kevin17
    View Post
    3. For how long would the information about FTA and 22349A stay on my record?
    I believe the 40508(a) will remain on your driving record for 5 years. As fo the 22349(a), that is on there for 3 years from the violation date.

Quote Quoting kevin17
    View Post
    4. Is this all taken care of now or do I need to do anything else as well after getting back to US?
    Check with the DMV.

Quote Quoting kevin17
    View Post
    5. I have read it somewhere that if FTA's are referred to a collection agency then they are treated as infractions. Is that true?
    True in the sense that a 40508(a) is a misdemeanor and yet as far as the penalty, the manner with which it is filed and adjudicated in court, it is treated as an infraction unless you demand that the court treat it as a misdemeanor.

1. Sponsored Links