Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Non-Certified Substitute

My question involves education law in the State of: NC
    How long legally can a former teacher assistant with a 2 yr degree substitute in an exceptional education classroom as the teacher ? The teacher has still yet to be hired and its going on over a month .

Default Re: Non Certified Substitute

I don't know if there is any legal time limit to hiring permanent teachers. Special Ed (especially how with the NCLB counter-productive mandates for "highly qualified") is a hard line to fill.

But leaving me in as a substitute, only having a 2 yr degree is not meeting the federal guidlines of the childrens IEP's. Nobdy seems to have an answer.

We don't have access to the IEP's. You do, but you have chosen not to share their content.

Take it up with the principal or school administration.

What's your proposed solution here, anyway? Leave the classroom with no teacher until a certified teacher can be located and hired?

Sadly I DONT have access to there IEP's.. I'm NOT the certified teacher and can't attend the IEP meetings.. their IEP's are in the children's home schools.. this is a not a traditional school setting,the children are sent here for emotional ,SERIOUS behavioral issues..but their education is being delieverd by the county,if they could find a teacher.Dont want to leave them with no teacher but seeing 54 kids throughout the day is a bit much for 1 person..just sayin. PLUS.. it's an unemployement issues also but I wont go there..ugh So.. Mr Knowitall.. got any solutions ???

What is your relationship to the kids here. If you're not the administration of the school nor a parent/guardian of the children involved (in which case you'd see the IEP) what business of yours is it what the requirements that their IEP places. Frankly, my wife was a special ed teacher and we have a special needs son, I've never seen the IEP talk about the qualifications of the teacher, nor do I know what illusory federal guidelines you think are in place there. While IDEA mandates broadly an appropriate education for all children that may not being met here, it's not likely to be anything specific to any individualized plan any more than the needs of a mainstream kid who doesn't get a qualified teacher either.

I'm a substitute teacher there.. with a 2 yr associates degree.. use to be the teacher assistant there,for 4 yrs but we were ALL cut due to budget constraints. the QUAILIFIED teachers found other jobs...the teacher assistants found none.So when they tried to find,they havent as of yet,teachers.They figured they better do something and the assitants were called back in to sub.The kids are NOT receiving speech, occupational therapy and other things that ARE in some of the IEP's,and yes.. I know they are in there because they were last year.So..it is my business to try and get the proper accomodations for them.. former teacher assistant or substitute that I am.Oh..and I forgot to mention that the school didnt even start till AFTER Labor day.. The legal start of school in NC is August 25.. So much for their REQUIRED 180 days of education. Ya see where I may have a concern or three..

What's your proposed solution here, anyway? Leave the classroom with no teacher until a certified teacher can be located and hired?

Mr. Knowitall ???????????? NOT !!! You are great at answering a question.. with a question. Done with this useless forum.

I can see why you think your students deserve better.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast